+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: West Sumner Sugar House 2014

Quote Originally Posted by West Sumner Sugar View Post
    I just checked and our sugar house is at 482ft and most of our lines are running between 525 and 540 facing E/NE. We are about 1/4 mile past the Morrill Farm on the right. We really want to do a vacuum system but with no power it would be difficult.

I did those bottles last year in my sandblaster.
    So they're basically etched, then? Nice job.

I'm 2000 feet from electricity - I made it a priority to build downhill from the trees so I wouldn't have to haul sap. My vacuum pump runs on a gas engine - but obviously that requires more attention than electric. At a lot of trips down the hill to check on things. When the season gets going it isn't bad because I'm there most of the time anyway.

For 1/4 mile you might consider having the pump at the electricity and running tubing to the releaser at the sugar house. The cost wouldn't be to bad if you could work out the details. Maybe a booster tank/moisture trap right before the releaser to keep vacuum more constant.
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

I know that on New Years day I went ice fishing over to Bryant Pond and the coldest place we went through was Sumner village it was 31 below it was 24 below on the Ice. We did catch some nice fish so it was worth it, even crown royal slows down in that temp. I would say for some reason that is a cold spot But it will warm up eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by West Sumner Sugar View Post
    I just checked and our sugar house is at 482ft and most of our lines are running between 525 and 540 facing E/NE. We are about 1/4 mile past the Morrill Farm on the right. We really want to do a vacuum system but with no power it would be difficult.

I did those bottles last year in my sandblaster.
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

Boiled off another 130 gallons of sap today. Hauled up about 90 gallons from L/A and gathered about 40 gallons from Sumner. Pretty wet morning at the sugar shack, rain and sleet mix then wind picked up in the late afternoon. All in all we have 8 gallons filtered and bottled. Hoping for some big runs this week so we can do a full out boil weekend next week. Ended up removing the preheater today and installed a new sap feed line. Got the new autodraw dialed in. Hoping to have the valve body built for next weekend to give it a try.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

Finally made some headway this weekend. We were able to put up over 400 gallons of sap from the good runs this past week. Boiled and bottled up 12.75 gallons putting us at just shy of 21 gallons for the season. Hopefully things hold out another few weeks to get us where we need to be. Got to try out our new home made auto draw. Had good results with it. Temp probes got kind of gummed up which threw things off a little till we cleaned them. We really need to get some better filtration going. Running into clogged valves and sap feed lines into the evaporator.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME

Looks like we will be finishing up this weekend. Easter is coming and so isn't all kinds of other outdoor work. We pulled our taps from L/A this week. Looks like we might get some sap running on Thursday and Friday. We are going to boil off what we have Saturday and pull our taps. We've made some huge improvements this season with more efficient filtering/bottling. Improved tap lines, sap filtration, sap pumping and the new home made auto draw. Should finish off around 30-31 gallons. Not a banner year but considering the weather, not a bad one either. Already looking forward to next year.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12