+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Nova Scotia tapping.

Well I finished cleaning my pan and sap buckets and hosing. The sugar shack is all swamped out and everything packed away until next spring. What a year!!! Lots of snow and late runs. All good in the end. Can it be any better than making your own Maple Syrup!!!!
    My Operation may not be big, but it's small.

I ended up with a much better year than last year. Definitely more work collecting sap with the amount of snow we had. Had lots of fun though.
    2'x4' Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan
    Copper parallel flow preheater & hood
    17'x12' Sugar Shack
    130 taps
    Two chocolate labs to help collect sap
    Brookfield, Nova Scotia

How's she goin'?
    Well it's a long ways to go till tapping season, but this morning we had about and inch of snow and the temps were below freezing most of the day. So it looks like we're heading to winter real quick and we all know that spring can't be far behind!!!
    I was out to the woods and have marked some nice trees getting ready for next spring. I hope everyone has had a great summer and that you all have an extra good syrup season next spring!!!
    My Operation may not be big, but it's small.

Hello all,

just joined the site. Started last year doing Maple Syrup, helped at a maple syrup operation about 20 years ago and just bought a property a few years back with 25 sugar maples. Used a turkey fryer last year, not the most efficient way to boil but it will have to do for a few years. I did manage to score a evaporator pan for the 2016 season so hopefully that will help.

Welcome to the site. It's hard to believe it's tapping season in a few months, time flies.
    17'x12' Sugar Shack
    130 taps
    Brookfield, Nova Scotia

Thanks Pibster. Yes time does fly by. Hopefully this winter is a little kinder than last year. My first season for maple syrup was the worst in decades, so I am hoping for a good season this year.

I tapped Wed and Thurs Feb 3 an 4. Had a small run Thurs and a good run Fri. I boiled Sat, got my pan sweeten. Been cold every day, tomorrow Feb 11 is going to be + 6 . Should get another run. This is the first time I tap this early and boil this early since I been tapping trees, I started tapping in 1974. In 1984 I tapped Feb 17 and that was early. Darrell Still working on my new pump and electric releaser.
    D&G 24x96 with 12 inch cook plate Drop Flue Evaporator, Home made Preheater & Hood. Home made Butter Machine. D&G 7" Short Filter Press. http://www.facebook.com/HillbillyMapleSyrup/ 300 Taps on Vacuum , 2016.

long range from the 16th to the 23 has temps above freezing in the day. I am thinking about tapping on the 20th.

I'm thinking about tapping on the holiday Monday (15th). Tuesday on looks really good for daytime temps. This would be by far the earliest I've ever tapped.
    17'x12' Sugar Shack
    130 taps
    Brookfield, Nova Scotia

what do you guys think about tapping early, do you get more yield or is the yield the same just over a longer time ( ie the tree has only so much to give)?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast