+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111222 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Day - Sap Puller

I let my pump run all night. Temps got down to 32 and there was ice in the lines, pump was still running fine when I got there. It ran 12 hrs off from a 12v battery rated at 109amp/hour. Pumps says. It's only 4 amps so we'll see if I can get a full 24hrs off from one charge. I'm gonna hook a gauge up later today to see how much vac I'm getting

Quote Originally Posted by Jkrist View Post
    I saw this post and had been contemplating myself if this would work. After seeing this, I hooked mine up to 50 taps all on 5/16 line and it works amazing. I was surprised on how much more sap I am getting. And it seems like it's pulling a pretty decent amount of vacuum.
    how about a vac gauge on the last tap and then we will know what its pulling for vac? This will take the guessing out of the equation
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    650 taps on vac.
    100 on bags

If it works well, you might try getting a solar powered battery charger to hook up to your battery to keep it charged up. Even if it doesn't charge it all the way it will help extend the run time. You can buy some now for not too much money and they work pretty good.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I was wondering if you could quantify how much more sap you think you got from with out and with the puller. I was just wondering roughly. We have 30 taps on gravity mainline and were looking for a way to increase our yield.

Thanks
    Mike

Did you end up getting a reading on your vacuum guage at the furtherst tap? Curious as to the inches, thanks,
    -Dave
    2011-8 Taps on a very crude block arch
    2012- 38 taps 2 X 3 with blower.
    2013- 70 taps total-50 on tubing, 20 on buckets
    2014- 75 taps- Low vacuum, 2X4 drop flue
    2015- 100 taps-2X6 Mason Drop Tube, low vac
    2016-115 taps high vac, 60 taps buckets
    14X20 post and beam shack with attached 10X14 wood shed
    12 beehives and an avid waterfowl hunter.
    Wishing I can quit my day job, keep bees, farm, and make syrup!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moshe...40072296064422

I didn't get to check the vac today. My local hardware store didn't have a gauge and my maple supplier isn't open on weekends. Hopefully I'll get a chance to stop there tomorrow and get a gauge. The amount of sap that I'm getting is significantly greater. I'm not sure the exact amount. But on gravity I was getting a slow drip, and with the pump I was almost getting a constant stream. My temp here is just warming up and is supposed to back to freezing for the next week, I can't wait to see how good this will work when the weather cooperates.

I didn't get to check the vacuum either. I think the gauge I got (like $ 5.99 on eBay) doesn't work right, it reads 5 in. even when it's not hooked up. I have another one I'll check it with if it ever gets above freezing here again (not likely for a week or so.)

Gary

So I have one of these little pumps and was wondering what else you have hooked up to it in your photo? I have about 40 taps all on 5/16 on 2 different segments and would love to draw them to my shack. How long of runs do you have on this pump?
    220 Taps
    2x6 Home made
    Sap Shack 20x20
    5 Shurflo diaphragm pumps
    250 GPH Deer run RO

I checked vac on my 50 taps today. It was 13" on the longest line. Pump has been working well. I found out not to leave out at night not running. Froze up and had to run hot water on it to get it working. I've been unhooking it as soon as it turns 30 and putting it back out first thing in the morning. When the temps are reasonable at night I let it run non stop. I just make sure the battery won't run out over night. I'm gonna check for leaks and see if I can get vac higher

I am getting ready to put mine out tomorrow. I installed a drain valve and have mine mounted so that the in is on top and out at the bottom. I was hoping that I can simply turn it off and drain it for the freezing periods. I am going to try mine with the computer power supply and run electric to it. I also used the computer chassis to mount it in. I will post some pics tomorrow when I have it setup.
    220 Taps
    2x6 Home made
    Sap Shack 20x20
    5 Shurflo diaphragm pumps
    250 GPH Deer run RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111222 ... LastLast