+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slow Start in SE Indiana

Default Slow Start in SE Indiana

We tapped 25 trees back on the 30th of January which was when it last thawed.

Our property is in the bottoms on a steep north facing slope. To date we have collected only about 7 gallons of sap. Don't know if the trees are still frozen solid, or if my tap holes have run dry. We'll try tapping another tree today to see if it runs any better than the others.

I'm hoping they are only frozen and not dried up.

SH

We tapped about 125 trees on Sunday, it was 50 up here in central IN on Monday and by Wednesday afternoon after we only had about 65 gallons. Most trees were running at least some, but not all. It seems like it usually takes a little time for the trees to get going after an extended cold spell like we had. Our property is flat, so we don't have to worry about shaded hillsides.
    Doug
    Maple Creations
    Coatesville, IN
    350 taps on 5/16 tubing & 4 Lunchbox pumps
    MemProTec Concentrator 300 RO
    Wood-fired 30"x8' D&G Model 500 raised-flue w/Steam hood & blower
    Smoky Lake finisher, D&G filter press,
    http://www.facebook.com/maplecreations

Just tapped two more - the shavings swelled very little when I took the drill out of the tree. After I placed the tap, nothing dripped at all.

If this was my first year doing this, I would have thought my tapping method was all wrong. But I remember very well the way things ran last year.

Here's hoping that the trees are all just frozen to the core, despite it being 65 degree today.

SH

The 19 trees we tapped Sunday have given us 40 gallons of sap as of tonight. Will be boiling Saturday!

On Monday we got 35 gallons on 50 taps Wed, we got another 25. Wednesday was 60 degrees and sunny. I don't understand why we got less than the day before which was cooler and cloudy. We still had about 30 gallons frozen from back in January when we had a couple good days.
    Putting out somewhere between 25 - 200 taps this year. Probably coser to the latter. No matter what I say today!

Tapped 2-17-14. Only ten trees,some have not ran a bit others only a little bit. less than 10 gallons all week, we'll keep waiting!!

We collected about 85 gallons from our 24 trees so far in the last few days. I figure they will stop running tonight or tomorrow with this long warm spell. Hopefully they will re freeze next week and run again later in the week. We have made around 2 gallons from what we collected with about 20 gallon left to boil.

Hey gibsonman. We managed to get a few gallon of really nice syrup made this week. Tapped about 300 trees last Sunday and got around 600 gallons of sap. Sugar in the sap was around 2 - 2.5 percent. Plan to bring some down to wesselmans this week.

Good sugaring!
    The Old Guy

Still not much happening here. We got 85 gallons yesterday: some trees were running pretty well when we collected but some weren't doing anything.
    Next week's forecast is for below freezing temps all week. After a week we've barely collected enough to start the evaporator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doug
    Maple Creations
    Coatesville, IN
    350 taps on 5/16 tubing & 4 Lunchbox pumps
    MemProTec Concentrator 300 RO
    Wood-fired 30"x8' D&G Model 500 raised-flue w/Steam hood & blower
    Smoky Lake finisher, D&G filter press,
    http://www.facebook.com/maplecreations

+ Reply to Thread