+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tapped in East Ohio

Had one last good run Mar 27 and this is going to be it for us. sap is slowing down, starting to get cloudy, and I'm out of split wood. went through about three cords this year and I have enough to finish what in the tank and pans, I hope. Dont feel like splitting more wood right now. Pulled about 30 taps today and will pull all the rest tomorrow, March 30. we tapped all in by Feb 17 so had a good six weeks with taps in, though two of those weeks were frozen solid with no sap. Not sure yet the total of sap or finished syrup, though I have two freezers full of almost finished sweet, I get it close on the evap and finish on gas, so may be still finishing in June!

Not a bad season after all, at least boiled enough to get rid of all the wood, time to start over building that up, and already have a decent pile to start splitting when I feel like it again. expecting to finish with at least 20 gallons again which is what we did last year, and built up a bit of customer base at the farmers market.
    SevenCreeksSap
    About 80 taps and a sapsucker.
    A wife who doesn't shop and lets me buy Maple stuff

We finally finished up all my frozen sweet over the weekend of 5-11. Bottled it all and finished with 23 gallons for the season. better than last year by 3 gallons, and enough work for me. Now to get it sold and make just enough for a hand filter press. we have refined our small operation so the filtering and bottling with the Smoky Lake finisher is much easier than before we got that. very nice piece of equipment.
    Just a couple of finishing pans to scrub and done for 2014. I'm happy with it, already splitting wood for next year.
    SevenCreeksSap
    About 80 taps and a sapsucker.
    A wife who doesn't shop and lets me buy Maple stuff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12