+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What maples do you tap?

All silvers here. Not many sugars/reds/and or box elders.

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

We tap what we have on our property. We are "blessed" with Norways and there are a few box elders that I'm considering tapping. We've been getting a little over 2 1/4 % and everybody loves the syrup. I've been planting sugar maples as part of our management program, which includes culling Norways and their saplings. Maybe in 35-50 years somebody will say, "Hey, thanks man".

Ok so I'm a little late to the party..I tapped all red and silver maples this year. Last year I did tap three sugars..Personally I prefer the flavor and red color that the reds add...Also the reds are running 2.5% and the silvers are 3.5% using a sap hydrometer...I stopped tapping the sugars because they were lower in sugar and these particular sugar maples added a taste to my syrup that I did not like...Standing back waiting for the flames

Tim
    2012 1st year 25 taps, crude block arch, 1 gallon syrup made
    2013 2nd year 50 gravity taps, 3 pan block arch w/drop tubes, 16 gallons made
    2014 3rd year 30 gravity taps same arch and pans, 6 1/2 gallons made
    2015 4th year 8 gravity taps (reds only) same arch and pans, 15 pints made
    2016 5th year 15 gravity taps. Reds and silvers. About 2 gallons made

To those that despise boxelder, tap a few and try. I will say that it doesn't have the traditional maple flavor, more on the butterscotch end. That said, it is great on ice cream! My name for this is Boxy Gold. Thank you Run forest run for mentioning me.
    Homemade 2x6 arch 2'x2' syrup pan 2'x4' sap pan 100 taps on bags

I won't go out of my way for boxelder, but if there's one right there, it gets a bucket. On certain days they really run.

I only have sugar maples here at the house and in the woods down back of the orchard, but at the farm it's all sugar maples with only a few large box elders on the other side of the hill where I don't tap. The box elders came in along with all the ash when the place started to get overgrown 20+ years ago. That area used to be beautiful hayfields and pastures; giant hogweed and goldenrod took over first, and since goldenrod is allelopathic to sugar (and maybe also to red and silver) maples, it was the ash that really took over and not the sugar maples. Buckthorn, autumn olive, wild grapes, multiflora roses and tartarian honeysuckle filled in the undergrowth. I am having SUCH a good time clearing that land...! (that l'il bit of sarcasm was free)
    "A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Clarkfield I feel for you on the clearing. If you have a bucket tractor on a good frost you can sheer the honey suckle and roses off at ground level and pile and burn. Then just bush hog the regrowth a few times in a season and it usually will be gone. Did this on two neighboring farms to get them back to pasture for our beefers. Works best if the bushes are big. They roll better with the tractor small ones can get under the bucket. Dry for a few weeks and they burn really good. Some how I have honey suckle in the maple bush lately. That is this summers project between hay crops.

I have mostly sugars and some reds. Two of my reds are burly - literally - monsters so when I did tap them last year, I had to get out the stepladder to drill in the spile holes above the burls! They did OK, the reds were first to produce last year and the first to dry. The only red I tapped this year was often the only one producing during the freakish March we had. The sugars are more predictable, I know their patterns.

Did try tapping some box elders/Manitoba maples last year, made about 100ml. It was all right, not terrible, a little on the bitter side. Think I'll stick with the reds and sugars! :-)
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

I only have Boxelder on my property. I'm going to look around this season and see if I can tap some sugar maple. My neighbor has several hundred birch - so I might give that a try next year!

I am going to add 50-60 more taps next year just for my boxelders. I don't get the aversion to them but that is your choice. The syrup they produce is as good or better than any maple out there. MyBoxy Gold will run with the best!!!
    Homemade 2x6 arch 2'x2' syrup pan 2'x4' sap pan 100 taps on bags

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast