+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tubing Tool Controversy

I just built a 2 handed tool for under $50 and it works great. So consider this another vote for building a tool. It was not difficult a I am definitely not much of a fabricator
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

Would you guys put some pictures up of the tools you made? I just received my new Mig welder and this will be a great first project.
    2010 - barrel stove & a steam table pan. 10 - 12 trees
    2011 - same deal as the year before. My son is now hooked along with me.
    2012 - Took over the garden shed and set up a Mason 2x3. Hoping to tap 30 - 50 trees. Ended up with 100 taps out.
    Finished the season with 16 gallons made
    2013- - Purchased a Smokey Lake 2 x 3 Hybrid pan. WOW, what a difference!!

*Scribners, if they don't want the broken tools, I would take them off your hands. I work at the firehouse with a guy who is great at welding and fabricating. PM if you are interested.

* Blueberryhill, where did you get a tool for $50?

* General question, I have a micro torch. Just a little thing, is this too much heat to soften it up?
    2012 150 taps on bags
    2013 880 taps on bags (yes we jumped that much)
    2014 A minimum of 500 taps, as many as we can get on tubing
    2015 Same as 2014, more tubing
    2016 496 on tubing (278 on vacuum) 51 bags

4 wheel drive ATV
    4 wheel drive gator

Well dang. I was over to Alstead Friday to pick up my new Smokey Lake back up syrup pan. The trucker had left it in on the syrup dock. Next to it was a whole pallet of red 30p and it had a sign on it: "Strawberry - VSMA Only."
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Fireman, I think they are interested. I may have another one and will PM if I do.

Ben

I built my two handed tool for under $50. I did not buy one for that price.
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

Made these for under $20, the one handed tool works perfect. I need to cut and re-weld the 2 handed tool handle to allow for more leverage when cutting in drops. Basically the handles are just a bit to close together. uploadfromtaptalk1392521789930.jpguploadfromtaptalk1392521827610.jpg
    CDL 30x10
    Homebuild R.O.
    Wes Fab filter press full bank w/air pump
    ornery wife
    1 mean Stihl 460 woods ported chainsaw

Being a mechanic my whole working carreer I know the value of having the right tool for the job and the consequences sometimes suffered when you don't. I have gone the fabrication route with some success and have also had some failures. Just last weekend my homemade mainline tool bent and broke so I will be replacing it with a factory made one.

Besides being bad for your teeth chewing on the lines puts bacteria into the tubing and the saliva attracts squirrels.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Wishlist

When you cut your handles off replace them with pipe instead. I made one that looked just like yours last year and it was hard on the hands. I also widened out the handles for leverage but used pipe instead of flat and it should be easier on the hands. Put the end of the pie that will be welded to the flat in a vise and flatten out, this will weld up easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    Being a mechanic my whole working carreer I know the value of having the right tool for the job and the consequences sometimes suffered when you don't. I have gone the fabrication route with some success and have also had some failures. Just last weekend my homemade mainline tool bent and broke so I will be replacing it with a factory made one.

Besides being bad for your teeth chewing on the lines puts bacteria into the tubing and the saliva attracts squirrels.
    I'm with you Russell. I was a heavy truck/equipment mechanic for many years, and have fabricated countless tools. Now, the one thing I don't mind paying for is the proper tool. Running tubing can be frustrating enough at times without having something that doesn't work quite right. I work 10+ hours at my day job and do this on the side, so don't have much time in my life for reinventing the wheel. That being said though, if I were doing this as a hobby with 100 taps, it would be hard to justify buying these tools.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast