+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Abbott's Family Farm 2014

Quote Originally Posted by eagle lake sugar View Post
    We've had the best runs of the season this weekend up here. We got 1800 gallons Friday, 750 Saturday, and at least 1500 today, it's still coming in at 150 gallons an hour. We didn't get our first boil until April 6th, that makes for a short season. We were hoping for 500 to 600 gallons of syrup this year, but will probably end up around 400.
    How many taps? Vacuum?

Yeah, the temperatures have been great the last few days here, but the buds are too far along now. Hopefully you can hold on for the rest of the week!
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

Final tally 291 gallons plus or minus two gallons. Won't know for sure until it all gets into retail containers. I'd call that 90%+ of an average crop.

Five gallons sap/tap on gravity (7-8 is normal) and about 16.5 gal/tap on vacuum. I think the overall sap/syrup ratio was in the neighborhood of 43:1. I was dragging it down by holding on at the end. Don't anybody check those numbers against each other because they probably don't add up. I did sell a bit of sap and I didn't finish off what was in the back pan - would have been 4 more gallons of syrup or so there, but it just didn't seem worth it.

It was a hard year.
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

Sorry Abbott, I haven't been on the trader for a couple days. I have around 2000 taps on 23+_ hg of vacuum, wet/dry system etc. It's still running here, no buds yet, I'm hoping for a few more days.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle lake sugar View Post
    Sorry Abbott, I haven't been on the trader for a couple days. I have around 2000 taps on 23+_ hg of vacuum, wet/dry system etc. It's still running here, no buds yet, I'm hoping for a few more days.
    Sounds like a nice setup - good luck!
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567