+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who all is thinking about starting?

As much as I want to get out in the woods and start drilling holes it is plenty early (and since the temps have changed a bit from when i first asked the question). I don't think the frost is all that deep in the woods, at least in NE Otter Tail County. I was out a couple days clearing new trails with the skid steer and I came across a few ash and poplar where the roots came out with the whole tree and I also knocked a couple basketball sized rocks out of the ground also. With a good 1 1/2 to 2 foot of snow in the woods and a Heavy leaf litter I think the ground stays insulated enough that the frost doesn't go as deep as say out in the middle of a field. I hope to be in the woods March 1st starting to get taps in, pending on the weather of course.

Default Excited---But know better

We usually tap the 2nd weekend of March. I have had too many years with the taps sitting dry for a couple weeks when I have jumped the gun. Plus....this years snow fall is going to be a real bugger for us. Gonna have to figure that situation out. So I'll be content working on our new preheater and cleaning up the sugar shack.
    Built New Sugar Shack 2013
    2x6 Maple Pro Wood Fired Arch/CDL Pans
    360 Taps & 1 Polaris Ranger
    A bunch of Family & Friends & a Understanding Wife!

The way the forcasts are looking to me it is going to be the end of March before tapping begins.

The end of the 15 day forecast has a warm up, but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Larry
    2013 4 taps then 8 taps then 19 taps - Steam tray pans on propane stove
    2014 2x3 WF Mason Evaporator 75 taps all on sap saks
    2015 2x3 WF Mason Evaporator 10x12 Sugar Shack 110 taps
    2016 I need to figure out how to get a a small RO

While we're all anxiously awaiting warmer temps to come and checking the Trader every few hours, I have to ask are we all ready? I thought I had a good grip on it until I made my annual checklist from tapping to bottling. Now I am crossing off items one by one of the list, hoping to "actually" be ready for the season to start. I think spring this year will be short lived due to the fact that I am highly anticipating it to arrive.

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

I know I'm in no hurry! Still plenty cold and lots of snow. I did start ordering supplies, and optimistically order 40 gallons of bottles. Did 50 last year but can't see that happening two years in a row!
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Extended forecast (accuweather, weather channel) has a warm up for my area starting March 9. Local weather guy said March 10 for a relief from cold temps, with the relief being above average temps. We'll see about that in the near future though. I'll continue getting ready so I will be ready by March 8th. I got all my tapping and collection supplies in check, now have to reset up the block arch, wash the old "pan" out, and make final preps. This guy is not going to be caught off guard this year.

SDdave

Going to get out and start packing trails with the snowmobiles next weekend. Hoping weather is nice enough to start tapping about the 10-12th. Have almost 300 taps to do so we'll see just how deep the snow really is. Hopefully don't get dumped on like last year in Late March and April making sap collection a real task. Our sugar camp is off road and really a camp - like overnight sleeping etc. Have gotten a lot of the supplies shuttled in last week but more to go this week. Hoping for about 50 gallons this year the liquid gold. Someone below posted they had lots of friends and an understanding wife-- wow, does that hit the nail on the head! This year I printed up hooded sweatshirts for the helpers with the camp name etc designed into it. Hope the bribe works!

If the forecast holds to what is predicted, mid to late next week I will be cutting more firewood and getting all my tubing put up and buckets all out so when the time is right all I need to do is get the holes drilled and spills in. Can't wait!!

Well before I start I'm going to get myself a little educations. The extension service is putting on a class on maple syrup production for novice to commercial production levels. There must be a great interest in it as I am number 99 to register. A few years back there was only 4 to 5 of us in the state that did it, good to see an increase in the trade though. Which leads me to ask, "Is there an increase in maple syrup due to the recession? Or is it people want a locally produced food item?" I bring up the recession idea because during recessional times fruit trees are planted by homeowners to the point there is a waiting list for tree stock in my area. When the economy is good fruit trees are tore out to be replaced by other non-fruit trees. Either way it'll be good to get a more local support group for mapleholics.

SDdave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast