+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who all is thinking about starting?

Default Who all is thinking about starting?

So I am looking at the extended forecast and seen next week (22-28) all but 3 days are below freezing other wise all the other days are around 35-40, who else is thinking about getting some taps in the trees?

Quote Originally Posted by tonka View Post
    So I am looking at the extended forecast and seen next week (22-28) all but 3 days are below freezing other wise all the other days are around 35-40, who else is thinking about getting some taps in the trees?
    Scratch the 22-28, I meant the 16-22.

I'll be watching the weather. I heard the frost line is deeper than normal this year. I wonder what impact that might have on sap flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Larry
    2013 4 taps then 8 taps then 19 taps - Steam tray pans on propane stove
    2014 2x3 WF Mason Evaporator 75 taps all on sap saks
    2015 2x3 WF Mason Evaporator 10x12 Sugar Shack 110 taps
    2016 I need to figure out how to get a a small RO

Looks inticing, but is it just a little warm up? On a typical year I'm normally looking at March to start. But, on the other hand maybe a test bucket or two will go up next Monday (no school so the kids can help!)

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

Sure looks interesting - but these long range forecasts can be way off too. The NWS has MN listed for above average temps and precip for the month of February. I guess I better finish getting things ready and charge up the batteries on the drill just in case!

Monday
    February 17, 2014

Mostly cloudy, a little icy mix; warmer

High: 36 °F

Low: 25 °F

Tuesday
    February 18, 2014

Sun followed by increasing clouds

High: 41 °F

Low: 26 °F

Wednesday
    February 19, 2014

Variable cloudiness

High: 42 °F

Thursday
    February 20, 2014

Cloudy

High: 41 °F

Low: 27 °F

Friday
    February 21, 2014

Sunshine and some clouds

Low: 23 °F

Saturday
    February 22, 2014

Decreasing clouds

High: 35 °F

Low: 26 °F

Sunday
    February 23, 2014

Mostly sunny

Monday
    February 24, 2014

Times of sun and clouds

High: 36 °F

Low: 27 °
    Larry
    2013 4 taps then 8 taps then 19 taps - Steam tray pans on propane stove
    2014 2x3 WF Mason Evaporator 75 taps all on sap saks
    2015 2x3 WF Mason Evaporator 10x12 Sugar Shack 110 taps
    2016 I need to figure out how to get a a small RO

I can't lie this has been on my mind for a while now. I just decided to check my records (2010 to present). Not many to go by yet, but a couple of those years I tapped the 1st week in March after having a couple of those warm, I gotta get out and tap I'm missing it yet days. Well in those years we had a solid two weeks of days in the high 30's low 40's with the lows hovering around 25 at night before the sap started to trickle. Each year at the same time they started to run. So, I don't know what to say on this. I do think I'll tap a few with buckets on Monday to see if anything happens. Reports to come!!

SDdave

thinking about it, dreaming about it but then I try to waddle through the snow in the woods and remember man I am out of shape, but besides that the sap isn't ready yet in the deep woods I tap and I think its still to early to tap but not to early to prep. A few years back I tapped in February it was warm it was beautiful and it was a total waste of time and energy, but I agree man I want to cook some syrup or as my brother calls it liquid crack he can't get enough
    Custom built downsized Small Bros. arch and leader pan
    Carrying on the wifes family tradition with the help of my brother and my cousin
    two miles of almost impassable woods road to get to the sugar bush and shack (heaven)

I only have 4 years of experience in this "hobby", but have noticed that the sap did not start to run in our woods until the snow has started to melt away from the base of the tree and create that little "ring" around the tree. 2-3 days in the low 30's is not going to be enough to get things going. There is no water there for the trees to "draw up" yet, especially this year with the deeper than normal frost. I will most likely be waiting until after Mar. 15 to tap in Otter Tail Co.

Edit my last post. Too much stuff going on this coming week. I am going to spend most of this warm-up teaser getting everything in line and in order. Normally tap around the 1st week in March, we'll see what the weather does then!

SDdave

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I heard the frost line is deeper than normal this year. I wonder what impact that might have on sap flow.
    I could be wrong on this but I think the trees don't tend to run much until the frost starts to go out a bit. Frost is definitely more than normal (4 feet deep around my place) so it will be interesting to see what happens this year!

I only have 5 years of "good" records but I've never tapped (aside from a test tap) before March 1. And leaving aside 2012 which was a true anomaly the earliest time the trees started flowing (more than a drop or two anyway) was March 13. I'm in the SW corner of the state so usually would be earlier than most of you (except of course for Dave!). My taps are almost always running good though by March 20. (Last year was also an anomaly - no drip until April!)

So bottom line, guys: hold your horses! As nice as the weather's gonna be this week, we've still got some winter to get thru before its time to get out there.
    Dan
    -15 years sugaring and counting - hoping to create a tradition my kids will always remember
    -400 taps, mostly buckets (Silver Maples + a few Boxelders just for the heck of it)
    -Custom-built 2x6 evap with Smoky Lake Maple raised flue, boiling in dad's old farm granary, now converted to sugar shack
    -Cobbled-together RO with XLE4040 membrane
    -New in 2021: experimenting with 3/16 tubing & a Shurflo pump.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast