+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tapping in Hamden30

Tanta K Guest

Default Tapping in Hamden30

We tapped Friday at Brooksvale Park in Hamden because we had to. Hamden Public Schools start sending the 4th graders in all the schools tomorrow to learn about the process of turning sap from a tree into something sweet for the table. We have 30 traditional buckets out this year and though many of you would think that is a tiny amount, when you combine that with teaching close to 1000 between now and March 8th, that is enough. The ranger, myself (Tanta Kirsten) and an additional assitant this year will do the teaching during this 90-minute program and I will rely heavily on a few volunteers to actually produce some syrup. The Friends of Brooksvale sells the syrup at our open house, 1 to a customer, first come, first served. The sugar shack is open whenever there are kids coming, sap to boil or when I can be there to talk to the public about sugaring but never on Sundays. If you know anyone who would like to learn the basics, they can email info@brooksvale.org or check the park's facebook page and I'll try my best to introduce them to the magic. If you're in the area, stop by and say Hi and see how the little guys (and gals) do it.

30 taps
    Brooksvale Park Sugar Shack
    Leader's Wood Fired Hobby Evaporator
    1 Sugarmama, 1 Ranger, Many volunteers
    www.brooksvale.org

I hope the season is fruitful this year. I'm 10 days out or so. We need to get through the next 3 storms and I wish I ran my lines this past weekend. that would have made tapping a bit easier when it was time!

We will stop by and see you soon!!

41.457 x -72.907 148 elevation
    2x4 wood fired evaporator with the "Hercules Blower"
    hybrid pan and backflip preheater by Smoky Lake
    103 taps. 44 on gravity
    All sugar Maples
    7" filter press
    10 x 12 sugar shack
    two very helpful kids
    a wife that thinks I'm nuts

https://youtu.be/7MiY8qzBKk8
    https://www.wunderground.com/persona...d?ID=KCTCHESH7

What a wonderful educational opportunity. Westmoor Park (West Hartford, CT) has a similar, smaller-scale program. Good luck this season.

Tanta K Guest

Tell Charlie & Caroline that I am anxious to see how tall they have gotten since last season. And...if you want to sell your syrup at our open house again this year, it's scheduled for March 8. I'm posting on the park facebook page when I'll be at the Sugar Shack. See you soon! Tanta K

Tanta K Guest

If I'm ever in that area during sugaring season I'll check it out. It is always a thrill to get the "Fan Mail" from the school kids and hear their replies. One young boy on Tuesday said, "This is the BEST field trip ever. Even better than the White House tour!" Have a sweet day! Tanta K

+ Reply to Thread