+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141525 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Broome County?

got to gather first thing in the morning,my bucketts on my sugar maples were all running over when i left for work at 2:30!! couldnt gather this morning due to a doctors appointment and car issues.thought i was all done but looks like ill be boiling again sat.

I finished up all my "almost syrup" today and hit my goal, so tomorrow I will go check my buckets and if they are all full I will boil again, but if they aren't full I will probably just pull the taps and call it quits for the year. All in all I got a gallon more than last year, so I'm happy enough. Heck...I still have over a half gallon left from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by John c View Post
    I finished up all my "almost syrup" today and hit my goal, so tomorrow I will go check my buckets and if they are all full I will boil again, but if they aren't full I will probably just pull the taps and call it quits for the year. All in all I got a gallon more than last year, so I'm happy enough. Heck...I still have over a half gallon left from last year.
    Sorry folks, I lied!
    I thought I was done, I cleaned everything up and put it all away. Today I went out to pull my taps and all my buckets were overflowing with nice clear sap. I checked the sap with my refractometer and it is at 3.5%.
    To make a long story short...I am boiling right now!

made a batch yesterday but it turned out funky so i tossed it......got some good sap this morning and it was running so ill give it another shot in the morning but either way im pulling them saturday and cleaning up.....my son built a shack and bought a used 2x6 over the winter and set a goal of 75 gallons syrup,he got 180 gallons sap yesterday that put him at 56 gal for the year...he just told me he was swamped with sap today and would be boiling till midnight so im hopeing and praying with the sap from tommorrow he will hit his goal....sure am proud of him.

Quote Originally Posted by SPILEDRIVER View Post
    made a batch yesterday but it turned out funky so i tossed it......got some good sap this morning and it was running so ill give it another shot in the morning but either way im pulling them saturday and cleaning up.....my son built a shack and bought a used 2x6 over the winter and set a goal of 75 gallons syrup,he got 180 gallons sap yesterday that put him at 56 gal for the year...he just told me he was swamped with sap today and would be boiling till midnight so im hopeing and praying with the sap from tommorrow he will hit his goal....sure am proud of him.
    That's an awesome goal for a son to have. I hope he hits it!

My family started getting lines back up and tapping as we go along. They have gotten about 800 tapped so far. Yesterday you could see the lines having a bit running through them but not enough to count! Thought being this late would make it easier getting through the woods but still having to use snow shoes. Getting lines that are down is quite a hide and seek game. Gonna clean the sugarshack and equipment tomorrow so we will be ready! Anyone else get tapped yet?
    New in 2011 - 150 or so taps
    2012 - 600 or so Taps- probably more but easy to loose count!
    2013 -1200 taps and a new filter press!
    4X12 evaporator with Steamaway

I got all my taps on tubing up last weekend. Tonight I will start putting my buckets out and will be finished Saturday.
    100-110 buckets
    Leader 7.5" 3 Bank filter press (2023)
    RO Bucket RB10 (2017) upgraded to RB20 (2020)
    Homemade oil tank arch
    Homemade stainless pans
    12x16 Sugar Shack (new 2020)

I got half of my taps in on Saturday. Every bucket is still dry as a bone, but not to worry because all my trees are in the woods and it's to be expected. My buddy has a few trees next to the road that are running good, but his buckets in the woods are dry too. I suspect that once they let loose it'll be game on! Once my first bucket is full I will put out the rest of my taps.
    Just to be clear...I only put out 40 taps on buckets.

Buckets were still dry yesterday after work. It's most likely normal, but it sure feels like I'm missing out on some sap.

My buckets have been producing but not alot, approx 40-45 gallons a day from 61 buckets. My 155 on tubing have been giving approx 100 gal a day since tuesday
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141525 ... LastLast