+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121323 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Broome County?

Gonna sweeten the pans today. Collected about 400 gallons yesterday and should get some today. Snow is bearable to walk in now and around the trunks of the trees have melted.
    New in 2011 - 150 or so taps
    2012 - 600 or so Taps- probably more but easy to loose count!
    2013 -1200 taps and a new filter press!
    4X12 evaporator with Steamaway

I'm surprised it ran with how cold it's been yes it's been warm and a little sunny the last few days but there still has to be frost in the ground whatever sap ran was stuff in the tree that thawed a little. were holding out especially with the weather that's coming this week you don't want to tap to early especially since it's looking like this season could go to April possibly.
    3x10 lightning evaporator drop flu stainless with hoods and auto draw,custom front pan and blower
    500 taps on gravity
    100 on buckets
    tongue n groove hardwood sap house 12x15
    7.3 power stroke and f-150
    Ford 1510 diesel compact tractor
    210 gallon collecting tank
    325 gallon collecting tank
    1 mitsubishi 1 inch pump.

Default winter coming back

Hounder,, thanks for the tips, I'll check them out. You make me laugh,, I'm no competition, I've sent people your way. I don't allow cut your own, that's the only way I can manage what I have. If I let people cut their own, I would have none the following year. Anyway, Homedepot and Lowes are your real competition. Glad to hear your getting some sap. The guy up the road from me, got some, but not much, and the flavor of what he got, had a lot to be desired. Dirty tubing he thinks. I'm waiting till winter's over. Glad your dad is doing great. BJS
    BJS

Christmas Trees
    Maple Syrup
    Leader 2 X 4
    150 Side Hill Taps
    JD 3720
    Nothin' Better Than
    Begin Outdoors

Maplehilsbros we aren't getting a ton but is was thawed enough to get the truck and tractor both stuck. Made a few gallons but pans are sweet and next time it runs we know that everything is ready including sweetened pans. We only tapped half of ours in and will get the other half done this week or so. The cold will keep the taps fresh - no bacteria will grow in this predicted cold snap?

Thanks for the referral saltlick. I close my cut field once I reach a specific number and then they can buy from the stand or cut Norways. If we didn't we would be out of trees also.

Default Norways!!!

Hounder,, you sell norways for Christmas trees? Any complaints? My son and I have been selling Norways for Landscape, 12 foot and higher. Yes the contractor has to fill the holes, but its still a mess. I had a Norway in my house one year.. My wife said never again. Spiders and needles. Of coarse the wood stove didn't help. Nice to have pans sweetened.. Keep tappin... BJS
    BJS

Christmas Trees
    Maple Syrup
    Leader 2 X 4
    150 Side Hill Taps
    JD 3720
    Nothin' Better Than
    Begin Outdoors

Hounder, I'm not sure if bacteria silly grow but the older the tap hole gets it will dry up since the tree begins to heal as soon as you drill a hole. Were tapping some Saturday since it will be the first of the month and the sap will run eventually let's hope for a warm up boys !
    3x10 lightning evaporator drop flu stainless with hoods and auto draw,custom front pan and blower
    500 taps on gravity
    100 on buckets
    tongue n groove hardwood sap house 12x15
    7.3 power stroke and f-150
    Ford 1510 diesel compact tractor
    210 gallon collecting tank
    325 gallon collecting tank
    1 mitsubishi 1 inch pump.

Last weekend it showed on the weather the potential for good sap days on Wednesday through Saturday. Just looked today and it is not looking promising now...WTH...tired of weatherman. We plan around them and they change day to day.

Default Tapping

Should be finished tapping tomorrow. Takes me a long time, this 14v drill with a couple of batteries, NOT enough power. Time to up grade next year. I used to do them all by hand, now I just wait for the batteries to charge. Weather looks promising the next few days. Time for Spring
    BJS

Christmas Trees
    Maple Syrup
    Leader 2 X 4
    150 Side Hill Taps
    JD 3720
    Nothin' Better Than
    Begin Outdoors

I'm planning on getting my taps in after work the next few nights. Looks like it should run a little Friday and Saturday.
    100-110 buckets
    Leader 7.5" 3 Bank filter press (2023)
    RO Bucket RB10 (2017) upgraded to RB20 (2020)
    Homemade oil tank arch
    Homemade stainless pans
    12x16 Sugar Shack (new 2020)

I'm thinking that I should have listened to you Saltlick,and waited till March to tap. We got that one run and I finished just under 2 gallons but everything is frozen solid now. Hoping the tap holes last longer than just six weeks. Time will tell I guess. Hopefully spring shows up now.
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121323 ... LastLast