+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111222 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Broome County?

Anytime, and we got wise to the wood in the sugarshack and had it all put up last year right away. I was just saying that when someone visits we are not above having them check the stack temp or running a batch through the press.. I don't think boiling on a smaller or bigger evaporator makes much of a difference except you put more wood in =) How many Christmas trees you have Saltlick?
    New in 2011 - 150 or so taps
    2012 - 600 or so Taps- probably more but easy to loose count!
    2013 -1200 taps and a new filter press!
    4X12 evaporator with Steamaway

so Hounder, where abouts are you located on 38b? For starting in only 2011 you sure ramped up operations pretty quickly
    Rob

We are on Sherder - the Christmas Tree Farm you may know where that is. We have potential for a lot more taps but we added no more this year. Not adding until we put in a line to pump sap to the sugarshack. We put the cart kind of before the horse and bought a big evaporator so had to have taps so we would have enough sap to even light it.

Still quite impressive!!
    Rob

Default Christmas Trees

Hounder,,, That must be you Gene...How is your dad doing? Not a lot of trees, I keep it as a hobby just like the syrup. Limit my sales to 100.. If I get too many I wholesale. That way I only sell weekends and hunt during the week. I raise Concolor and Douglas,, deer won't touch them. Besides trees and dogs, your now into the syrup. Do it while you can.. I just live up the road from Bill Homes. I hope to get the chance to come up and see your operation. Are you thinking of doing one of those "open house events"? Bruce Sattler
    BJS

Christmas Trees
    Maple Syrup
    Leader 2 X 4
    150 Side Hill Taps
    JD 3720
    Nothin' Better Than
    Begin Outdoors

My dad is doing good. 94 and he still is helping with everything or getting in the way. Don't think we will do an open house, we tell our tree customers if anyone wants to stop anytime they can. Will you have any concolors to wholesale? Any time you do let me know. Gonna have about 800 tapped for the warm up. Not sure if it will run with all that snow on the ground...

Well I tapped in 117 I have on tubing today. Will probably do 40 on buckets tomorrow. But seriously what is with this snow? At one point my wife and I looked back at our 6 year old helper (Killian) and he was stuck in the snow up to his armpits.
    Last edited by relseek; 02-15-2014 at 07:05 PM.
    Rob

Default Is Sap Flowing?

Having any luck during this warm up? I may be foolish to wait a while yet, but still not looking much like spring, on the north side of my hill. That knee deep snow is tough on the legs. Hounder, what do you use for a preemergent ? I have been using Simazine and Surflan. But Surflan is quite expensive. Any tips would be appreciated. Bruce
    BJS

Christmas Trees
    Maple Syrup
    Leader 2 X 4
    150 Side Hill Taps
    JD 3720
    Nothin' Better Than
    Begin Outdoors

Checked tonight, there is a little ice in the bottom of the buckets and tanks I was kinda expecting more... Hopefully tomorrow or the next day they will let loose
    Rob

We got 800 taps in and what ran today we let flush out the lines - see what tomorrow brings. Simazine doesn't stay in the soil long alone. Bicep two lite is what I use, which is simazine with a touch of atrozine to last longer. If your trees aren't real young you can use west star. that stuff works unbelievable but you can over do it. wait you are the competition. Use west star on everything about 8 ounces per acre.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111222 ... LastLast