+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Broome County?

Last boil this morning , with the four places I tap only 1 gave sap yesterday , just enough to fire up . Didn't check sugar content - evaporator told me not good . Had lunch and went back and drained front pan into propane finisher , added four buckets from flu pan . sat and looked at that boiling for couple hours - finish it in the morning . What a crazy season !

Collected 30 gallons this past St. on 24 taps. Boiled Sat. night and Sunday ( two steam trays on LP). I measured the boil of water to be 210.5 boiled till 219, got 2.5 quarts of golden.

The competition results for maple products at the New York State Fair have been posted . There under fruit & farm for those who might be interested .
    Last edited by Buddy 58; 08-25-2018 at 05:52 AM. Reason: repost

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy 58 View Post
    The competition results for maple products at the New York State Fair have been posted . There under fruit & farm for those who might be interested .
    Thanks. I kept looking under maple products. Didnt realize they were posted there.
    Neil

Default Rain

Bridge to my sugar house washed out last night ! Local rain gauges said little over 4 inches of rain between Midnight and 3 AM . DSCN0391.jpgDSCN0392.jpg

Last summer I helped a friend move his bridge in the Catskills back into position. In a gully washer it moved a roughly 5' wide by 30'+ bridge which had 5 full length logs under it. To start it was several feet above the stream on one end but maybe only 5-6 above the usual water level on the low end. He rented a medium large excavator and we pulled it back thru about 75-100' of trees and brush, then took the excavator into the stream bed and lifted it as best we could into position. After I left he lifted the low end and put heavy flat rocks to get that end up higher then built a ramp to get off. In the end the bridge likely sloped 25 degrees give or take. In the end I think we ended up with just 3 full length logs under it, the other became detached. I don't know if he put them bck in later. His bridge was just for an ATV or snowmobile (or foot bridge)
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

That looks all too familiar to me. I have a bridge at the end of my drive that leads to the entire property, including our houses. It has washed out twice in 30 years. The second time I gave up on culverts. I had two abutments poured and put steel beams across and built a deck. That has held for 15 years or more. Culverts need wing walls or they will wash. Now that you have that hole you might consider spanning the creek instead of a culvert.

Culverts should be sized to 1.2x the stream bank width. Not to say a smaller size won't work 95% of the time but if you want the overkill approach that is the standard to use. And riprap is a cheaper alternative than wing walls that works good if placed correctly. But it won't do any good if the culvert is too small.

Default One quick foot - atv bridge

DSCN0395.jpgDSCN0396.jpgDSCN0395.jpgDSCN0396.jpg Two 31 foot locust trees 16 inch big ends 8 inch small ends , last night found a bunch of 2x8 concrete forms that were free ! 300 taps are pipe lined to a tank behind sugar house the rest I bring in with pickup tank - 100 feet of 1 inch black plastic pipe and I can pump it across for now . Going to try and find two foot x 40 I beam and open deck bridge decking . I have a JD 540 log skidder , when I get that home , going to get down in the creek and pull the pipes up out , there were two side by side - 8 foot dia. One is down the creek sum . After checking things out , two big beaver dams busted out plus all that rain we got here logs and stumps washed down and plugged the pipes . For now my little bridge will work for getting across . Those pipes were put in 20 years ago . Thanks for all the information guys , but I spent 32 years working on roads I know all about riprap wing walls , head walls , plowing snow , ice storms ----- The pipes were given to me and had old side walk blocks so that is what I used . 20 years and mother nature !!!!

Started tapping Sunday , finished today . Sap was running some mid afternoon . Supposed to warm during night and get into the mid 40* tomorrow , Goal is to flush lines and test sugar content . And then wait for mother nature to join the game

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast