+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 123456789101121 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Broome County?

Default Tapping in Broome County?

Just curious if anyone around Broome County is planning on tapping soon?
    Rob

Default Tapping

Rob,
    I have found over the last ten years ,, I get most of my sap during the month of March. So I'm usually in no hurry to tap. May miss a run or two of light syrup. But healing up has never been a problem.. I'm up by the airport, mostly on the north side, so my woods are cold.. Have a good season..BJS
    BJS

Christmas Trees
    Maple Syrup
    Leader 2 X 4
    150 Side Hill Taps
    JD 3720
    Nothin' Better Than
    Begin Outdoors

Thanks for the reply,Saltlick. I'm on Pollard Hill, most of my trees are on the north side of the slope too. This is only my second year and it seems I'm always asking questions, maybe I can pick your brain sometime. Do you find that 150 taps is a good match for your 2x4? I have a 2x5 flat continuos flow, this year I have 117 on tubing and about 40 on buckets and to tell the truth I'm a little scared that I may be biting off more than I can chew.....
    Rob

Default Your Close

Rob,, 397 E. Maine Rd. give me a shout some day 729-3071, Been busy plowing trails and running some hose.. I love the outdoors but I wish it would warm up a little. But not too warm yet...Where abouts on Polard???.Bruce
    BJS

Christmas Trees
    Maple Syrup
    Leader 2 X 4
    150 Side Hill Taps
    JD 3720
    Nothin' Better Than
    Begin Outdoors

I'm at 559 Pollard. I will probably take you up on that offer. Thank you
    Rob

Default 2x4 Evaporator

Rob, You asked about the 2x4? At times I think its marginal. But its what I have, and I'm getting a little old to learn a new system. I've learned how to change a few things over the years to get the most out of it.. I'm able to boil between 16 to 18 gallons per hour most of the time. I very seldom finish the syrup in the evaporator. I have propane setup for a controlled finish. So unless I get big runs day after day, I'm able to keep up, pretty much. Hope this answers your question..I'm no expert, but I'm more than willing to show you what I have, anytime..Bruce
    BJS

Christmas Trees
    Maple Syrup
    Leader 2 X 4
    150 Side Hill Taps
    JD 3720
    Nothin' Better Than
    Begin Outdoors

My wife and I would definitely like to stop by at some point. I appreciate the offer. When we get a moment one of these days I will try giving you a call.
    Rob

We are going to start tapping on Sunday. Lines should be all fixed back up and hopefully we will get some runs with warmer weather in site next week. We also are not too far from you in the Town of Maine off of 38b. Company is always welcome and we will probably put you to work so be forewarned =)
    New in 2011 - 150 or so taps
    2012 - 600 or so Taps- probably more but easy to loose count!
    2013 -1200 taps and a new filter press!
    4X12 evaporator with Steamaway

Thanks so much for the invite. I can't even imagine running a 4x12, would love to see that in action.
    Rob

Hounder,, I would like to see your set up also,, but as far as work goes,,sorry,, its been a cold winter, my wood pile is low, and ma ma is getting cold. So back to work, with a chain saw.. Keep in touch. Bruce
    BJS

Christmas Trees
    Maple Syrup
    Leader 2 X 4
    150 Side Hill Taps
    JD 3720
    Nothin' Better Than
    Begin Outdoors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 123456789101121 ... LastLast