+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ceramic blanket

Default Ceramic blanket

Hey out there in maple land, I need some advise, do any of you guys or gals use ceramic blanket insulation in your evaporators, under fire brick on the sides, let me know. Seasons right around the corner!! If you do wear do you buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffeich View Post
    Hey out there in maple land, I need some advise, do any of you guys or gals use ceramic blanket insulation in your evaporators, under fire brick on the sides, let me know. Seasons right around the corner!! If you do wear do you buy it.
    at top of page do search on ceramic,
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

This is what I just got for my 2x6. http://www.ceramicfiberonline.com/ce...et-8281024300/ Should be some left over. Shipping was like $30. Had it in 3 days.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I just lined my firebox with blanket for oil. I bought it at CDL. Believe it was $4.00 per square foot. I would call first to be sure they had it.

I have blanket lining the whole arch with only half bricks in the firebox. Under the flue pan I do no not have any bricks. Had it this way for 3 yesrs, and no issues, it still almost looks new, Saves you a whole lot of work, time, and money.

2' wide x 25' long=50sqft/approx $75 blanket($56) and shipping($20)= .66sqft
    did i di math right?
    2300deg 8lb blanket
    http://www.ceramaterials.com/ceramicfiberblanket.html
    Last edited by Flat Lander Sugaring; 01-30-2014 at 06:52 PM.
    Business Name
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    Chumlee of the trader

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Lander Sugaring View Post
    2' wide x 25' long=50sqft/approx $75 blanket($56) and shipping($20)= .66sqft
    did i di math right?
    2300deg 8lb blanket
    http://www.ceramaterials.com/ceramicfiberblanket.html
    No. But you paid less than me. 75/50= 1.50
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I get rolls of the stuff where I work and I had sold some on craigslist and a couple through this site on the classifieds section. I was selling for $100 cash per roll for local pick up. That was for 24" wide rolls 8# density. 1" rolls are 25ft long and 2" rolls are 12.5ft long. The prices on the sites linked above are pretty good, but that is imported stuff and the quality is not the same as the name brand, made in USA stuff. I have cut hundreds of rolls of this stuff(not maple related) and the US stuff is much more consistent. The good stuff is bound together better (does not break apart as easily) and it releases less dust particles when you cut and handle it. It also has consistent gauge where I see a lot of high/low spots and defects in the chinese stuff. I also don't trust China when they tell me there are no harmful ingredients. Well, I don't really 100% trust US companies either, but I still do believe that they hold higher standards when it comes to that stuff. I just wanted to point out that there is a difference and you get what you pay for. Morgan Thermal Ceramics and Fiberfrax (Unifrax) are Made in the USA and the product really is better. I don't have any experience or evidence that it makes a difference as far as performance in an arch, but I will tell you that I can certainly tell you the difference side by side (the pepsi challenge). I used to work with a lot of the chinese stuff and I almost started importing 20' containers of it, but big picture it was just not worth it, so we just don't bother with it any more and get only US stuff. Won't hold it against anyone, but that's just my cup of tea. I am told that the Chinese govt it subsidizing this production to hurt the US market and so I have decided to support the US manufacturers. You know once these chinese drive the US companies under, they will just stop subsidizing their stuff and the prices will jump and then it'll all be coming from China and it'll cost more. OK, enough ranting for now, thanks for listening.
    Last edited by BlueberryHill; 01-31-2014 at 08:24 AM.
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    I get rolls of the stuff where I work and I had sold some on craigslist and a couple through this site on the classifieds section. I was selling for $100 cash per roll for local pick up. That was for 24" wide rolls 8# density. 1" rolls are 25ft long and 2" rolls are 12.5ft long. The prices on the sites linked above are pretty good, but that is imported stuff and the quality is not the same as the name brand, made in USA stuff. I have cut hundreds of rolls of this stuff(not maple related) and the US stuff is much more consistent. The good stuff is bound together better (does not break apart as easily) and it releases less dust particles when you cut and handle it. It also has consistent gauge where I see a lot of high/low spots and defects in the chinese stuff. I also don't trust China when they tell me there are no harmful ingredients. Well, I don't really 100% trust US companies either, but I still do believe that they hold higher standards when it comes to that stuff. I just wanted to point out that there is a difference and you get what you pay for. Morgan Thermal Ceramics and Fiberfrax (Unifrax) are Made in the USA and the product really is better. I don't have any experience or evidence that it makes a difference as far as performance in an arch, but I will tell you that I can certainly tell you the difference side by side (the pepsi challenge). I used to work with a lot of the chinese stuff and I almost started importing 20' containers of it, but big picture it was just not worth it, so we just don't bother with it any more and get only US stuff. Won't hold it against anyone, but that's just my cup of tea. I am told that the Chinese govt it subsidizing this production to hurt the US market and so I have decided to support the US manufacturers. You know once these chinese drive the US companies under, they will just stop subsidizing their stuff and the prices will jump and then it'll all be coming from China and it'll cost more. OK, enough ranting for now, thanks for listening.

Thanks for the info, the very first roll I bought from place above was supposedly made in USA but sales guy said that was it everything else come from china.
    I like to support USA businesses and pro gun businesses.
    Business Name
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    Chumlee of the trader

Oh, buy them from me next time then. I LOVE GUNS!
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

+ Reply to Thread