+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dr. Tim's study on Maple saplings

More than a few people have read the article since it's being posted about everywhere. Customers are curious about it. I'm surprised the amount of traction this has gained.
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

I was just looking for the appropriate section to post and ask what you guys thought about this procedure when I came across this thread. I suppose its the same as raising the chickens without the feathers.
    30 +- Taps
    Homemade evaporator with 2x3 flat pan, 1x2 preheater pan/finishing pan, lots of ideas, not enough time

I believe that this is a great way to produce sap, convert open agricultural land into a semi-wooded early successional habitat. Not only would it benefit the producer, preservation of open spaces, but also local ecology. Obviously the deer would be a concern, but nesting birds which require a semi-open area would literally flock there. Here in CT we are losing open space at a startling rate, and in my area which is slowly being converted back into forested areas from agriculture, the selection of existing sugar bushes are few, mostly the edges of fields as it is.

I can understand those larger producers which pride themselves on walking their miles of tubing, tapping thousands of trees and being experts of sugarbush maintenance being a bit flustered by this. The idea of being able to turn maple sugar into an agricultural crop doesn't change anything except supply and price, but here is the thing we need to think about. Maple sugar is thought of as better than white sugar for me tasting and for most health. So sugar producers could lower the need to source sugar from outside sources like sugar cane etc, saying local and refining the sugar would be a whole new business. Does this mean that maples would disappear from our forests? Nope, does it mean that the maple industry die? Nope, I still by local corn and tomatoes when they are in season, and there are massive producers throughout the US, so what is the real difference? We all install equipment to save time and money, so why can't we look at this as one of those things. I know my wife would be happy, with the more income coming in versus time invested and we are still so tiny.

We just need to change our mentality, this can be adopted to a wide range of applications, even urban! So why not figure out a way to make this work, it is an option, people still use buckets others tubing. Some use gravity others vacuum. No one uses vats over open fires, or wooden troughs to collect in. Sumac spouts? For get them. Progress is a good thing, as long as values are maintained by the individuals involved.

Sorry for the rant-ish post just my thoughts.

How large a tree could this be done with? I have a 6" diameter tree near my collection tank that broke in a storm a couple of weeks ago about 8' up (taken out by a pine.) I was going to cut the remainder off, then I started thinking: can I cap this tree and pump it? I have a spare small diaphragm pump I could use.

-gary
    2023 - 25 taps on a Shurflo 4048 sap puller, 15 buckets, cinder block arch with 3 steam table pans.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by vtgaryw View Post
    How large a tree could this be done with? I have a 6" diameter tree near my collection tank that broke in a storm a couple of weeks ago about 8' up (taken out by a pine.)
    Too big. I'd tap it down fairly low to the ground and cut it out this summer.....or don't tap it and just let it recover for a while to grow back.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

whats the difference between topping the sapling off completely and just tapping the sapling?
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    Wood Fired 2X6 with piggy back
    Great family & friends to help
    One expensive hobby!

I assumed as much. Thanks, I may just let it be and see if it recovers.

Thanks,

Gary
    2023 - 25 taps on a Shurflo 4048 sap puller, 15 buckets, cinder block arch with 3 steam table pans.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345