+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Tim's study on Maple saplings

5000 sapling per acre ??

The Whitetail deer will love it......one sweet natural food plot.
    2010 40 buckets- 4 gals finished
    2011 80 buckets- 14 gals finished
    2012 105 buckets- 8 gals finished
    2013 maxed at 130 buckets- 24 gals finished
    2014 new max at 240 buckets- 18 gals finished
    2015 newest max 240 buckets-+48 taps on 3/16 gravity- 22.5 gals finished
    2016 150 taps on 3/16 gravity- 23 gals finished
    2020 250 taps on 3/16 gravity- 22 gals finished
    2021 385 taps on 3/16 gravity 25 gals finished
    2022 385 taps on 3/16 gravity- 26 gals finished

Had a friend email me today about a program story he heard on NPR today about a new method of gathering sap being developed by UVM.
    3x10 Leader Inferno Arch
    14,200 Taps
    2 - 14 HP Indiana Vacuum pump
    1800gph Lapierre RO
    10" Lapierre filter press
    2 - 25,000 tap Lapierre releasers
    3 - SS 1500 gallon tanks
    1 - SS 8,400 gallon tank
    8x8 Argo ATV
    50k John Deere generator

24'x32' sugarhouse

I listened to it. It's nothing new to anyone who has been following this study. It's nice to hear maple in the news, though.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...n?sc=17&f=1001

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

This seems like some sort of industrial craziness to me. Taking one small plot as an example, I've got thirty taps on some 12" trees. There are probablt twenty or thirty young trees around 6" that may get big enough in my lifetime. There are hundreds of small trees, ranging from 1/2" up to 3" and one could cut and suck from these, but for how long? I presume that cutting the tree off kills it, so if we cut thirty of the young ones off, and then next year cut off another thirty, and so forth...in five or ten years I'll be out of little trees, and my young ones still won't be big enough to tap traditionally. I'm sure as hell not going into the woods to plant trees every year. I've got enough to do already, and besides, that's Gods work. As I look around the countryside around here, I see thousands of acres of un-tapped maple forest. If you want sap. go and get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greer View Post
    This seems like some sort of industrial craziness to me. Taking one small plot as an example, I've got thirty taps on some 12" trees. There are probablt twenty or thirty young trees around 6" that may get big enough in my lifetime. There are hundreds of small trees, ranging from 1/2" up to 3" and one could cut and suck from these, but for how long? I presume that cutting the tree off kills it, so if we cut thirty of the young ones off, and then next year cut off another thirty, and so forth...in five or ten years I'll be out of little trees, and my young ones still won't be big enough to tap traditionally. I'm sure as hell not going into the woods to plant trees every year. I've got enough to do already, and besides, that's Gods work. As I look around the countryside around here, I see thousands of acres of un-tapped maple forest. If you want sap. go and get it.
    30 taps on 12" trees? wtf?

Anyway, the point of the study is not about tapping understory maples or lopping off their crowns. You are better off leaving them there or thinning to let the strong ones better compete.

In the study they planted trees in a field and coppiced them.
    Last edited by GeneralStark; 02-03-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    I listened to it. It's nothing new to anyone who has been following this study. It's nice to hear maple in the news, though.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...n?sc=17&f=1001

Sean
    I am pretty disappointed in this report. This study is being completely misrepresented in the media and judging by the comments on the vpr site and on their facebook page, people are not getting the point. VPR should have interviewed Dr. Tim or Abby to get the real story. This is going to get out of hand I am afraid.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

lpakiz Guest

Micheal Greer,
    You should read the whole report. In it, it tells how this system is perpetuated.
    No, topping the tree does NOT kill it. In fact, it sends up more shoots, so many that you can tap that cluster indefinitely. Seems soft maples, especially, will readily respond to "topping" by sending up more shoots. You can cut a foot off the the main one each year over several years, saving several others for future topping. Each year, you re-cut one several inches shorter, to get down to good wood, just like tapping conventionally in a new spot of your big tree. You could cut one to the ground, saving others for later,,or you can rotate among several stems over the years. Very interesting concept. The report gives the whole story.
    They are NOT advocating cutting down your woods and raising saplings. This is one of several different, alternative ways of making syrup in different situations, like ice storms, diseases, tornado damage, etc. or marginal land, swamps, etc.
    Perhaps the two systems can co-exist, so you can develop mature trees while topping saplings as a way of thinning.
    Think Christmas tree plantations, blueberry and raspberry plantations. They were once only harvested in the wild. Now look. Perhaps the first time Native Americans saw corn planted in rows, they just shook their heads....
    Last edited by lpakiz; 02-03-2014 at 09:33 PM.

I think it may be something that could be done on good land as a row crop, but if it takes over the woods we will have trouble. Maple trees provide far more than just syrup. They are the watershed for a lot of places, provide saw logs, firewood, wildlife and a number of other crops besides the syrup. Turning them into a row crop will devastate the forest and will eventually end up killing the very things we like to sugar for. Maple syrup will end up being just another product that is produced by agribusiness and it will lose it's brand. How are we any different from Mrs. Butterworth's if we are just another product of giant agriculture?
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

Harrisville, New Hampshire, United States

Thank you Dr. Tim For all your work. Despite all the negativity on this topic from a few, I think it is awesome. To think I could produce this much syrup from a small parcel of land. One question, are sugar maples the only ones you are studying, or are you looking into a faster growing varieties as well? If I missed this earlier on I apologize. Thanks again, Doug
    Two years boiling on a Leader half pint
    2011 100 buckets,12 gallons made
    2013 120 on tubeing 20 buckets 27 gallons made
    2014 Leader King 2 x 6 Working on 400 + on tubeing
    goal: 70 gallons

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I think it may be something that could be done on good land as a row crop, but if it takes over the woods we will have trouble. Maple trees provide far more than just syrup.
    We are not suggesting this be used to replace current sugarbush collection methods.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast