+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sap ladder with Guzzler pump

Why would you need to pump it to the shack with it in the woods. Use it to pump up to a line that will gravity flow to your shack. You would be using he pump as your ladder.

SS Great Point! Obviously I was a sleep on that one.

I don't know about any one else's sales but I need all the syrup I can get and will still be buying from local guys. So I need as much vac as I can get in the bush. So if you can get a few inches more by putting the pump in the bush. Then in the bush is where she be.

To test the flow of the system the number for peak flow of a tap is .2 gallons/hr under high vac from Steve's research.

So at .5 gal/ min = 30 gal/hr /.2 is 150 taps at peak flow on a 4 way. That is awesome results! that is 37 per riser. I know I cant get that in my 18' ladders. But I still like SS's point to be able to eliminate the ladder and for the freeze factor, a heat lamp that will come on at 35 degrees to warm the pump and a kill switch at 31 on the mains should protect the pump as long as you use a screen in the mains to stop any ice. The CDL unit will eat a diaphragm when it pumps ice.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    When did 39 qualify as old, The new lights on a head band are nice, you still have 2 hands free.
    The old comment was a joke cuz I have had some back problems the last few years and my wife is always saying that i look like an old man when I'm on the couch all weekend and cant move.

I do have one of those head lamp things and it is awesome. Use it every night to load up my wood boiler and to pump sap
    Mike

12 x 16 Sugar house
    18”x72” CDL drop flue
    Homemade 4 post RO
    125 taps on vacuum (Guzzler)
    Smoky Lake 7” filter press

I had thought of putting the pump in the woods and pumping sap up to shack, but didn't know how much of the vacuum would be compromised. Also, freezing would be the other major factor.
    I would make a box with a light in it to prevent freezing but think that a frozen slug of sap could enter the pump and damage it. The screen seems like a good idea. Or maybe two 90* elbows just before it enters the pump?
    Just trying to make this as easy as possible while getting the most sap.
    Like I said in my earlier post, I get home a 5:45 at the earliest and sometimes last year it was 20* and my barrels were a little frozen.
    Has anyone had good luck with these temperature swicthes?
    Mike

12 x 16 Sugar house
    18”x72” CDL drop flue
    Homemade 4 post RO
    125 taps on vacuum (Guzzler)
    Smoky Lake 7” filter press

I totally get the back issue. Fell on the ice just after xmas and fighting it ever since. On the coach now waiting for pills to kick in. I often wonder which is worse the pain or the side affects.

90 elbows would also limit your sap flow so it will limit your vacuum. I use temp switches all the time. Water heaters for the cattle and horses are all on them, I added a couple to my wood furnace to separate the fans and the dampers and increased by burn time by nearly 50%. I like the digital control stats because you can set and control different items at one set point. Like turn on the light bulb heater and shut down the pump.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Lander Sugaring View Post
    your legs are pretty short to Flats watch out for deep snow
    They may be short, but my feet reach the ground. Consider all the extra length you tall guys need to move to walk. The only time I find my legs are too short is when climbing a steep hill on snowshoes. A real task, as I stand there sideways to the face of the hill and I need to lift my uphill snowshoe what seems like 6' to reach on top of the snow, I do get tired.
    You know what, I was telling everyone since I was 17 that I was 5'7", I just got measured a week ago. In the last 50 years I somehow lost 2.5" in height, go figure!
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Vertically changed is only a temporary limitation. That's why we have ladders, stools, etc. For taller people we spend our time ducking and whacking our heads off stuff. I remember a customers dairy barn. The original owner was 5 nothing and the vacuum line was low enough for him to reach. Every time I walked in that barn I would not see the vac line thru the brim of my hat and end up on the floor seeing stars. He loved seeing me come thru that door. Funny how he would always be standing in sight of that darn vac line. And laugh so hard every stinkin time. I learned after I got married to not wear hats anymore... after my wife saw the welt on my head one day. She burned my hats...smart lady!

here is a video of 400 trees running hard on a sap sucker, sap would comes in waves

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/poul...e3e1b.mp4.html
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

That's different. I think the sap sucker is the way to go for my setup. Maybe I can swing one next year. I think I said that last year..haha
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Hi Everyone,
    I have read over this whole thing, other than learning being short sucks and being tall sucks too, I also think I got out of it that a guzzler WILL lift sap up a ladder, but it won't be the most efficient way to go. It would be better to use the pump to lift up and finish with gravity down hill. Did I get the gist of that? Our situation is that we have about 60-70 taps before the ladder (about 7 or 8 ft), and 30 after, would it be better to run both to the low spot then pump up to a gravity line to the collection tank?
    Thanks
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast