+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Done "for now"

Default Done "for now"

So... Looking like the third year with no sugaring for me. I used to lease trees up north of me but that was a pain. Had to remove 600 taps worth of tubing 2 months after installing them each year. And not as many good roadside trees that the town has not removed for some reason or another. So I'm selling it all for now. If we ever decide to buy some land or get a great deal on use of a big bush then wife said I can start over again. Which could work to my benefit !! I know how I would go about it the second time around. First would be a brand new sugar house. With kitchen and no mice!!! Ya right. But that's what I would do. Start with the building first.

So if anyone needs anything Maple I have it all! Except no RO. Never got into that. I have some stuff up on the classifieds. But a ton of misc stuff. Just ask.
    I can be called or texted anytime at 413-246-2813

Looking to visit some of you guys while you boil. Good luck this season

Oh and any Massachusetts guys want a Vanity plate for Ma. I am looking to sell off my trucks plates. I just have to see how. The registration and plates say " SUGARN"

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Jim,
    Sorry to hear this. You were one of the first guys I chatted with on the Trader. I wish you the best and hope that if the time is right you can jump back in. I agree that having a building first is a good plan. It will be a lot easier the second time around.
    My toughest time at least financially was when the kids were in college.

Keep looking for that sugarbsuh. South facing, 5% slope to the road, all hard maples big enough for two taps, Electric and water available at the bottom of the hill, at least 600 + taps Its out there!
    You can visit and help any time!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Chris thanks. Yeah this time in life money is tight and everything we want to do as a family costs big time. I'm ok with the decision. No sense having equipment sit around not being used. It may happen again. Who knows.

Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Sorry if anyone tried pm me. My box was full you can try again I think.

Belchertown MA.

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

All my Kegs are bought now. Thanks.
    Still have tanks and collection tanks pickup truck tanks. And other stuff including the Evap.

Belchertown MA.

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Jim-

Rest assured Alice is still chugging along although that 2x8 is tempting!

Mike
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Default Done "for now"

3x8 Mike.
    I have pushed that thing to 100 gallons per hour. When everything is running right. Most of the time around 90 GPH

Belchertown MA.

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Jim,
    Sorry to hear that you're getting out for now. I understand the having to take down tubing, that really sucks. Myself, my wife and son met you and your family at one of those famous "Yall Come" parties just south of Buffalo (are all those guys still sugarin?). Good luck with your future plans and hopefully things will work out in the near future with you finding a nice property with a sugarbush.

Jim
    Last edited by Father & Son; 01-23-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

OMG WOW huge dent made in the sales already... sold...the evaporator tonight, a small pickup truck tank, a cage tank, filter press, tubing tools, kegs, still have someone picking up the milk tank saturday...... still have a round bottom 320 gallon stainless lapierre tank. and a stainless 2 bay sink i think is going saturday too
    Belchertown MA.

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

I'm sorry to hear that you are done sugaring. It just doesn't seem right. You have been here from the start and you and I sort of expanded at a similar rate. I went with an RO and you went with a bigger evaporator when we outgrew our 2x6's. I'm still using my 2x6, crack in the arch front and all. You are welcomed to stop by and check out my new addition and help boil if you happen to be in Loudon, NH in March. We can have a boiling soda or 3 and sip some hot maple syrup.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast