+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Press by Daryl

I learned something about the black diaphragms -- replace them when the woven reinforcing material tears. Last year I replaced two of them, right after they tore, worried that, if I didn't, the diaphragm would get a bubble or hole while I was in the middle of pumping the next batch. This year I tried not replacing one to see what would happen, and on my 4th batch, the second of two 6.5 gallon batches, the first batch in which the pumping got tough at the end, the diaphragm developed a bubble when I was pressing out the last quart and popped when I kept pressing.

I need to figure out how to avoid ever tearing the woven reinforcing material on top of the black diaphragm. It doesn't tear when I am pumping hard; something else causes it to tear. I have two hypotheses about what causes the woven reinforcement material to tear:
    1. Pressing two hot. I've usually been pressing between 200-210. With this next diaphragm, I'm going to always press just below 200.
    2. Letting a bit of water get on top of the diaphragm. Sometimes when I wash the press, I leave a bit of water on top of the diaphragm. It seems like, whenever it tears, I see water on top of the diaphragm. It could be that the temperature difference between cold water on top and hot syrup inside causes the diaphragm to tear. I'm going to be careful to make sure the diaphragm top is dry before I press in the future.
    Hopefully, with these precautions, I'll be able to get more use out of each diaphragm.
    Last edited by HowardR; 02-25-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

Quote Originally Posted by HowardR View Post
    I learned something about the black diaphragms -- replace them when the woven reinforcing material tears. Last year I replaced two of them, right after they tore, worried that, if I didn't, the diaphragm would get a bubble or hole while I was in the middle of pumping the next batch. This year I tried not replacing one to see what would happen, and on my 4th batch, the second of two 6.5 gallon batches, the first batch in which the pumping got tough at the end, the diaphragm developed a bubble when I was pressing out the last quart and popped when I kept pressing.

I need to figure out how to avoid ever tearing the woven reinforcing material on top of the black diaphragm. It doesn't tear when I am pumping hard; something else causes it to tear. I have two hypotheses about what causes the woven reinforcement material to tear:
    1. Pressing two hot. I've usually been pressing between 200-210. With this next diaphragm, I'm going to always press just below 200.
    2. Letting a bit of water get on top of the diaphragm. Sometimes when I wash the press, I leave a bit of water on top of the diaphragm. It seems like, whenever it tears, I see water on top of the diaphragm. It could be that the temperature difference between cold water on top and hot syrup inside causes the diaphragm to tear. I'm going to be careful to make sure the diaphragm top is dry before I press in the future.
    Hopefully, with these precautions, I'll be able to get more use out of each diaphragm.
    I am in the process of changing out my diaphragm from the original white reinforced one that Daryl installs, to hopefully the correct replacement from Bosworths. I am not quite sure I have the correct one. Any help out there?
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

Quote Originally Posted by GramaCindy View Post
    I am in the process of changing out my diaphragm from the original white reinforced one that Daryl installs, to hopefully the correct replacement from Bosworths. I am not quite sure I have the correct one. Any help out there?
    Gramma Cindy,

Here's a page you can use to order the Buna-N (black) diaphragms or the Silicone (white) diaphragms.

https://www.thebosworthco.com/produc...aseid=SK-0400N

You've kept the white diaphragm going for quite a while. You must be stopping whenever the pumping gets hard. I wish I had your discipline!

I just pumped through a seven and a half gallon batch of early season syrup (5 cups of DE) at about 200 degrees with no problem. But at the very end, I paused for a full minute before I threw in the hot water to capture the syrup in the pump for the next batch. When I finally got back to pumping again, the pump handle wouldn't even go down. Instead of giving up, I pressed extra hard on the long handle, and the reinforcing material of the diaphragm tore! So, the extra half cup of syrup cost me $18.80, the current price of a new black diaphragm!
    Last edited by HowardR; 02-17-2020 at 08:37 PM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Loves tapping in snow

Here's a photo of me today pressing though just over 6 gallons of early season syrup at just under 200 degrees (preheated plates with no precharging step) using my Filter Press by Daryl. The long handled stainless steel spoon in the feeder pot is the one that my wife uses to stir the DE in the feeder pot (when she's not taking my picture). The saucepan in the foreground has boiling-hot permeate water in it to be thrown into the feeder pot when there is just a tiny bit of syrup left at the end of pressing. I pressed through that watered down syrup while my wife caught it in the same saucepan for adding to the next batch of syrup:

Then I took the pot of sediment-free syrup out of the sink, heated it up to 210 degrees, and used it to fill the jars. And here's the finished product of today's batch:

Last edited by HowardR; 02-20-2020 at 06:54 AM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Loves tapping in snow

Dang, that's a bummer Howard. I did order the black diaphragm and replaced it. That long handle looks like a very good idea. Looking forward to tapping in a few weeks.
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

I changed over to the black diaphragms several years ago. I have made more changes this year also.
    Home of the machined 5 X 5 Hand Filter Presses Made in the USA
    Chairman of Lake Erie Maple Expo
    Dealer for DSD Stars, MemProTec RO'S, SUNRISE METAL SHOP, Bosworth Pumps
    Becker Vacuum Pumps

Daryl makes a great press. I put through three 7 gallon batches this week without problem. I think he now sells the aluminum pump as an option, and I recommend it.

I can't remember how the top metal washer (the one on top of the diaphragm) was positioned when I first bought the aluminum pump, but after a diaphragm liner tore, I installed it the wrong way, and the sharp edges of that washer tore the next diaphragm liner as I was pumping. I now install both the top and the bottom washers so that their edges are turned away from the diaphragm. Here's a photo which shows the top washer turned upward, away from the black diaphragm:

pump_washer.jpg
    Last edited by HowardR; 02-29-2020 at 05:02 AM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Loves tapping in snow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789