+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Press by Daryl

Default Pre charge

HowardR, when you start to pump the de /syrup mix do you recirculate it back to your de syrup tank until clear or do you send it straight to the bottler. Thanks.

I spoke with Daryl today and ordered my 5" hand pump. The information i have read on this thread is invaluable! Thank you to all, I can't wait to start using the pump this weekend. I'll let you know my process and post results.

Quote Originally Posted by cabinetcap View Post
    HowardR, when you start to pump the de /syrup mix do you recirculate it back to your de syrup tank until clear or do you send it straight to the bottler. Thanks.
    I don't recirculate anything. I just send everything straight to the pot that I use for bottling.

Default 5” hand press

Ok thanks Howard, it was late season and I did not have time to practice with the 5” hand pump last year, I wound up plugging it up with de. I’m going to try your one cup per cake plate ratio and see how that fills. Also has anyone upgraded the Bosworth hand pump with the aluminum housing and long handle and is it worth it or make a difference. Thanks

I did get the aluminum top ring and the long handle upgrade.
    The Aluminum ring is worth it but I found that unless you clamp the entire filter press down there is just way too much leverage and when the filtering starts to get hard you will just tip over the filter press instead of pushing down on the handle.

So I just used the short handle with the aluminum ring and all was good. Well until I put a gear pump on it!

BTW the reason I did the upgrade was after a bunch of uses I was noticing that I was starting to pull the threaded inserts out of the bottom on the side where the handle hinge is.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by cabinetcap View Post
    [H]as anyone upgraded the Bosworth hand pump with the aluminum housing and long handle and is it worth it or make a difference. Thanks
    I upgraded. Daryl now has his press available with the aluminum pump option, and I think that pump is worth the extra cost. The stem of the plastic pump tended to go down at an angle, which was one of the reasons why diaphragms would break, but the aluminum pump always goes straight up and down. Also, as Dennis H. points out in Comment 65, the threaded inserts tend to pull out of the plastic pump, while the aluminum pump is made to last.
    Last edited by HowardR; 02-21-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

The only part of the pump that is aluminum is the clamp ring that holds the diaphragm in the press. It guides a shaft to make the diaphragm go up and down straight and not to allow the diaphragm to rock. Bosworth does not make a aluminum pump body.
    Home of the machined 5 X 5 Hand Filter Presses Made in the USA
    Chairman of Lake Erie Maple Expo
    Dealer for DSD Stars, MemProTec RO'S, SUNRISE METAL SHOP, Bosworth Pumps
    Becker Vacuum Pumps

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
    I found that unless you clamp the entire filter press down there is just way too much leverage and when the filtering starts to get hard you will just tip over the filter press instead of pushing down on the handle.

So I just used the short handle with the aluminum ring and all was good.
    I have no problem with leverage because I connect my press directly to the 15 gallon pot that contains the syrup that I am pressing. When I press down on the long handle of the filter press, the heavy pot stabilizes holds the left side of the press in place. Here's a photo showing the pot on the left connected with the filter press on the right. Coming out of the pot is a bulkhead, then a valve, then a short length of flexible pipe, then a quick connector. On the inlet side of the filter press is the other half of the quick connector. (It only takes a few seconds, and doesn't require any tools, to connect the two sides of the quick connector together.)

PotAndFilterPress.jpg

By the way, the thermometer at the bottom of the pot is a great help when making syrup in the pot. I got the pot from a beer supply store. It came with the thermometer and bulkhead already attached, but I had to move the thermometer so that it would be closer to the bottom of the pot.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

How many gallons can I expect to get through the press. I’m thinking 3-5 gallon batches. I hate to do more knowing how hard it is at the end and do not want to tear down halfway. Also on small batches I would think that precharging is not nessesary. Thanks for your thoughts.

How much are they

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast