+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vacuum regulator

Default vacuum regulator

I am looking for a vacuum regulator. The ones bascoms have do they just slide on a piece of pvc pipe.

Why do you want a regulator? You want your vacuum as high as possible for optimum sap flow.

not trying to steal the thread but I have a regulator in my main vac line from the pump to the releaser due to the fact that I start my pump early in the am before I leave for work. Most times lines are still froze so the regulator allows the pump to get air so it don't overheat. its set at 25hg and when the lines are running it pulls around 22.5\23 this is the only reason I have one. just my 2 cents
    100 buckets for 09
    180 buckets for 2010
    300 on gravity and 300 buckets for 2011
    1000 total for 2012
    250 taps on shurflow pumps
    G.H.Grimm 3x10 raise flue auf
    snowmobile and grizzly 660 four wheeler
    8 beagles an 1 aussie shepherd for company
    and last a wonderful companion that lets me do all the stuff i love (maple sugaring) and doesnt ask questions!!!!!!!!!!!

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc375/cpmaple/

By all means you should be using a regulator. just as cpmaple said your vacuum unit can over heat if things are frozen. and I have seen people who will crack a ball valve to let in a little air, but then in the middle of the day when the sap is really flowing the vac level drops because the valve is still cracked. So unless you are going to constantly monitor it don't use a valve. There are many styles of regulators but are basicly all the same. Some are nothing more than a spring compressed valve. The tighter you tighten down on the spring the higher the vacuum. I also have a weight on a pendulum hooked to a ball style. The further the weight is slid away the higher the vac. I'm sure there might be other styles but they can certainly save a pump from overheating and seizing.
    Keith

How high would you safely run your vacuum? I have an old De Laval 76 with oil flood that ran all last season at 27+" mercury at the releaser, 300 ' from the pump, tended to really smoke, sometimes motor would trip on warmer days, so I will be putting a regulator on it this year, but how high can I safely strive for?
    Last edited by Bruce L; 01-18-2014 at 05:00 PM.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

If I recall ....sustainable vacuum on planet earth can only reach 28Hg. Correct me if I am wrong Dr. Tim.
    Yes you need a vacuum regulator in order to bring air into the vacuum pump (ie: if the lines are frozen not far from the releaser) Although squirrels seem to be mother nature's little vacuum regulators !
    Bob- 4 x 12 Small Bros. Lightning w/raised flues-open pans
    20 x 40 sugarhouse, all tubing-main line to sugarhouse
    1400+- for 2011 & 100% vacuum
    Polaris 500 HO w/Tatou 4s Tracks
    1 Chocolate Lab from TEXAS

CDL makes a good simple PVC regulator. Bruce L, as far as your De Laval smoking, at high temps they will do that. I used to set a cheap window box fan next to them blowing on high to help keep the pump cooler which would help keep them from tripping out.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

If the pump is smoking that is really bad as you are in the 285 degree area with the pump. The exhausted will allow oil vapor to exit the pump. This is part of how the vac oil cools the pump. Good oil will vaporize at 160.
    If a pump has been correctly modified for high vacuum you can hit a little past 28. Maximum vacuum on earth will only allow 29.92"

For sum pumps a regulator is advisable, while Thompson is correct you will get more sap at higher numbers; it is not worth damaging a pump.

I run no regulator but I have modified my pump so that when it maxes out on vac it will pull more oil to cool the housing and vanes. I run a special blend of oils to aid the pump in maximizing vacuum while allowing for the best cooling. Oil reclaimers are a great tool when running high vac. What size and setting on the regulator are you needing. I have several used and a couple new surge regulators.

Breezyhill, I am thinking regulator at maybe 25", that should give some relief to the pump? I am installing a 20" box fan in front of the pump to help cool, will take pictures of the pump and oil flood when it warms up just a tad. Not sure what you mean by what size regulator?
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

A few years ago I used a Surge regulator to protect my vacuum tank, but it was problematic, and kept losing vacuum in operation. I'd set it for 19", and go check for leaks. Check back later and it was only at 12-14". I then swapped that for 3 industrial regulators that were only 3/4" each. I bought a 3/4" cross, put 1 regulator on each of 3 openings and a nipple on the 4th that connected to the 2" vacuum line at a 2" Tee. That arrangement has worked without issue for about 5 years. Now both of my pumps have the same set up, the first one for 5 seasons and the second one for 3 seasons. I like the dependability. The ones I use were $19.99 each and are made of brass. My second one is set at 17" because the double belts slip when I go to 18". I hope next year to get a real maple vacuum rather than the old dairy pumps so I can run at 25" plus on the one bush. My other bush would need a releaser to go above the 19" or I could implode the tank.
    Last edited by maple flats; 02-12-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast