+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Run off?

Default Run off?

So I have an area up in my woods that is wet with maybe a trickle of flow in the dead summer but now it is flowing pretty well and not frozen. Is this an artesian (s) well, spring or run-off?

The wet area is at the base of a nice ledge.

Run off would only be after it rained or comeing off a bigger river , it could be a natural spring dig a hole where the water starts and see if water flows up then it's a spring, a well would have to be pritty deep in ground
    2013 first year - 7 taps made 6 gallons of syrup !!!!
    2014 120 taps on half pint evaporator gallons made ???

I think I may just do that this year. I don't really have a need for a well up there but a small pond may be useful. Although I would need to cut a few sugar maples.

Yea they are always good to have but if it's to big u will get outside the spring and will leak out
    2013 first year - 7 taps made 6 gallons of syrup !!!!
    2014 120 taps on half pint evaporator gallons made ???

What do you mean "outside the spring"

I have one I am using for my sugarhouse. I dug a trench and put in the perforated pipe with sock on it to catch the water and then ran that into in a spring tank which holds about 350 gallons of water. It filled within 20 hours and has been running over ever since. It runs when its -30 or even back when it was drought season. Great water very clear and very useful. I put in a shallow well pump and I will drain the pump in the off season. I probably will put in a bigger tank next summer.
    Jared

+ Reply to Thread