+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Tapped in Southern Ohio

Too warm. I have a bunch of sticky buckets full of bugs and a bit of cloudy sap in the bottom. Wind has been blowing buckets off. Ready to pull this weekend. Then I see the forecast and thoughts of "well clean up, check taps and maybe squeeze another little run......." Then back to "nope, time to plant peas, prep for bees and move into the spring, pull those taps". I expect to decide while standing next to a tree sometime today.
    2014 - 15 taps and still on the turkey fryer.
    2013- 10 taps and a turkey fryer.
    Backyard hobby now. Grew up in Upstate NY around sugaring.

Tough to know what is best, but I will wait and see if this week's sap is clear. I have never had taps in past the 15th, but my trees are always a week or two further along so maybe I can get a couple more gallons yet.
    2' x 6' / Kawasaki Mule 610/twin 35 gal. tanks
    Arctic Cat TRV 650/Trailer w/ 60 gal. tank & 5 gal. jugs
    In the foothills of Appalachia
    http://www.facebook.com/newmanmaple

I am in the same state of mind as "SWOhio"

I stopped boiling last week. My wife was glad to see me clean up.

I had been too busy to pull that taps, and the buckets are full of bugs.. But the taps are still in. And tonight is cold, and tomorrow is warm.. Hmnnn..

I might.. just might , clean the buckets in the morning, look at the crowns for buds, and maybe gather what nature gives me.

--
    Tor

Well this week was pointless. I've only been getting a few gallons of sap per night to boil, and today in the balmy 60 degree weather only a few taps ran. That means the holes must be closing. On top of that, my flue pan fermented last night in the warm sugarhouse, and all I can do is pitch it. 40 gallons or so of slimy brown cider smelly stuff. Should've pulled taps last weekend when I was originally planning to, would've had more syrup. I can save what's in the syrup pan, but the flue is gone

-Laz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789