+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thermometer Mounting Issues

Default Thermometer Mounting Issues

I had a set of pans built (2x4 & 2x2) to go with my home built arch. The manufacturer forgot to weld in the 1/4" fittings for the thermometer on the syrup pan. So I had it done locally. I mounted it at approx. 30 degrees and 6" up from the bottom of the pan, supposedly suitable for a 12" stem thermometer to sit approx. 1/2" off the bottom of the pan. I was originally planning to run with a depth of about 2" in my pans. Problem is that the sweet spot on the thermometer stem is 3 & 7/8" from the tip. So to get a proper temperature measurement I have to run at approx. 3". Fortunately my float box setup allows for this, but just barely. Talked to my supplier hoping that there was a thermometer that had it's measurement point lower on the thermometer stem. No luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing I have at this point, is to weld on new 1/4" fittings lower on the pan side and at a shallower angle. If the is the case, then it will have to wait until next season.

Newbie Mapler
    New home built arch
    New continuous flow pan setup
    43 pipe line taps
    74 bucket taps

Put a tee on your draw off port stick a bushing in the tee (probably 3/4 x 1/4") thread your thermometer straight in through the draw off port then thread the draw off valve in the leg of the tee. I was shown this by another member and plan to install my thermometer like this before I boil tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread