+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 372 FirstFirst ... 3666767778798081828384858687888990919293949596106136186 ... LastLast

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

Quote Originally Posted by billyinvt View Post
    We have a very healthy fox population. On the rare occasions when I do see a squirrel, I never seem to see him again.
    Our land borders 7000 acres of wilderness so there is every possible critter around and plenty that would eat squirrels. The coyotes are barking tonight as usual and the barred owls are hooting...I would think they would love squirrel for dinner. I watched 5 chipmunks chase each other around this morning while I was chasing leaks.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gold View Post
    I've been loosely following this thread and saw a few producers having with issues with the CV2 spouts. Is this issue widespread, or is it more of a bad batch that was missed by QA/QC and a few producers happened to get them? I've only had a couple break and a few that have had the tips come off. I currently have 1/3 of my taps on CV2's, but was going to replace all my drops next year to convert everything to CV2's, but hesitant to do it now.
    I personally haven't given up on the CV2 yet as they seem to be doing their thing in the tree, but I have seen several tips come off which doesn't seem quite right. I'm sure it won't hurt the tree but a spout is meant to come out and it just seems like the manufacturer could easily sort that out.

If you are thinking of changing drops, why not just do them all and use a seasonal spout like a smart spout for a season and hopefully within a year or two Leader will get their **** together and make a proper spout.

I ended up making almost 20 gal. this evening from sap collected the last few days after concentrating to about 10%. It started off on the dark side of Amber rich, which I assume is due to boiling raw sap all weekend, and I ended up at golden delicate. I'm hoping to stay there for a while now that the season seems to be picking up a bit. The flavor is awesome.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    I have been chasing quite a few leaks this season mainly due to wildlife, especially squirrels. I don't know if they are having a hard time finding food so they are going for the tubing, or if their population is up this year but I have never had this many leaks during the season..
    Just curious as to how you wash (Dry, water only, water with bleach, Etc.)? We had an awful problem years ago and think they learned to go after the bleach (salty) but we're not sure.
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

collected 630 gal of 2.3% approx today, concentrate was from 5 to 10%. but all thjat counts is some boiling sodas were drank couple shots of Sapling and made 21.5 gal tonight. We canned every thing we made today. RO washed ready for tomorrow.were at 65% of what we made last year and just under 50% two years ago.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday Rock Maple View Post
    Just curious as to how you wash (Dry, water only, water with bleach, Etc.)? We had an awful problem years ago and think they learned to go after the bleach (salty) but we're not sure.
    I don't really "wash" the tubing. When pulling taps I do rinse the tubing on vacuum with a 50/50 water/vinegar solution and then plug the drop.

The issues with wildlife I am referring to a purely during the season, after tapping and doing repairs from the off season and getting the vacuum up to 27". I generally check the system every other day, more frequently if the vac. drops, and I have been doing repairs in areas I have already repaired...
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO

Record day yesterday. Brought in 800 gallons of sap. Add another zero and I could be Spud!
    300 on vaccum
    300 gravity tubing
    200 buckets

100 hilltop acres
    16x20 timberframe sugarhouse built in 2010
    3x10 Leader max flue & revolution pans w/ Inferno arch - 2013
    1998 Kubota M5400

Northwoods Farm and Forestry on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    I don't really "wash" the tubing. When pulling taps I do rinse the tubing on vacuum with a 50/50 water/vinegar solution and then plug the drop.

The issues with wildlife I am referring to a purely during the season, after tapping and doing repairs from the off season and getting the vacuum up to 27". I generally check the system every other day, more frequently if the vac. drops, and I have been doing repairs in areas I have already repaired...
    I think the chewing varmints have they own neighborhoods because they chew on certain mainlines and don't touch the next one up go figure
    10,600 taps on vacuum
    5x16 CDL Master / with steam pan
    3600 GPH CDL RO

Quote Originally Posted by northwoods_forestry View Post
    Record day yesterday. Brought in 800 gallons of sap. Add another zero and I could be Spud!
    I only got 3000 gallons yesterday so you kicked my butt on GPT. Sap is just starting to run today. There is a light wind and still cool in the woods. I hope to get a good amount of sap Thursday and Friday when the temps hit 55 degrees.

Spud

Finally got a decent run yesterday, close to 30 gallons from 60 taps, still not really running, but slowly filling up for boiling this weekend. Hoping for a nice stretch here, but it being this late this year I will be happy to get something... today it should run nicely, will be collecting in the dark again... always fun

Anyone have hints for preventing splitting ? I am using small 5/16 alluminum taps and am very careful setting them, but still see some splits this year. Seems to be on the smooth barked trees... I do hang buckets directly on the taps, but don't see how that would affect them more than hanging from a hook. I may transition some to a ground setup next year as a test ( using short tubing to a bucket ).
    31 Taps in 2011 with buckets, Barrel evap
    45+ Taps for 2012 with buckets, 2x5 Dryer Arch with steel pans ! 8x11 Sugar Shack, Dump Stations,
    60 Taps for 2013- Insulated Dryer arch, AUF,
    2014 watched from sidelines...
    70 Taps for 2015 - dryer arch, new 2x5 divided pan from Smokey Lake with a float box !
    70 Taps for 2016 - added a preheater and new grates for the Dryerator.
    80 Taps for 2018 - Dryer arch got new front and door

Things are looking promising for tomorrow and next week. It's 3 PM and it's 29 degrees. Still waiting for that high of 34 they predicted. I think I am finally realizing that a "high" of 34 doesn't mean much. I am learning it means that if everything is perfect, the wind, the sun and the snow cover, that it might reach 34 in some places for a few minutes of the day. The pump is on with anticipation.

tomorrow is the day I think. Tomorrow.

Ben

+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 372 FirstFirst ... 3666767778798081828384858687888990919293949596106136186 ... LastLast