+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 372 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516172757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

I am waiting to hear the results still on this helium system. Thad briefly talked about it with me when I was at his place a few weeks ago. Randy and Thad get together look out. No one in the maple world will be the same. I can only imagine the amount of sap that is going to be produced with the Helium injection system.

Sounds like I am setting the releaser and pump this weekend and chasing any leaks that it might have. Im still waiting for Bascoms to call and say the new Lap float has arrived so I call be done with this releaser. Should be like brand new this year. New seals and new float. JUST ADD SAP.. lol
    PM
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/jtrap/

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp View Post
    Thad, with the two RO's will you have to start concentrating long before you want to boil, or will the machines keep up? Do you run the membranes in series, or parallel? How long do you concentrate before you rinse, especially when you get to high concentrate? The ro room and plumbing looks nice and neat. Good luck with the new machine.
    What I will be doing is running one or both machines to make 10-12% concentrate during the day, then when I am ready to boil I will switch one over to make 20-22%. I am able to make 20% at the same speed that I can boil. I will most likely be boiling twice a day with this system. Once around 4pm and the again when the sap stops running. This should get me into bed early every night.

I run about 3 hours between rinses. Now when I am making high concentrate I have the machine turned way down, much lower pressures. As on that pass I am looking to take out only 50% of the water, so fouling the membranes is reduced drastically.

The big key is in the way I wash. I start the wash with the soap and run for 20 min or so, dump and rinse, start a new wash and let it go through its complete cycle. The amount of crap that comes out in the 20 min wash is incredible. I compare it to washing your dishes in the same old water over and over.... eventually it just isn't going to clean anymore.
    Thad

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Blaisdell View Post
    What I will be doing is running one or both machines to make 10-12% concentrate during the day, then when I am ready to boil I will switch one over to make 20-22%. I am able to make 20% at the same speed that I can boil. I will most likely be boiling twice a day with this system. Once around 4pm and the again when the sap stops running. This should get me into bed early every night.

I run about 3 hours between rinses. Now when I am making high concentrate I have the machine turned way down, much lower pressures. As on that pass I am looking to take out only 50% of the water, so fouling the membranes is reduced drastically.

The big key is in the way I wash. I start the wash with the soap and run for 20 min or so, dump and rinse, start a new wash and let it go through its complete cycle. The amount of crap that comes out in the 20 min wash is incredible. I compare it to washing your dishes in the same old water over and over.... eventually it just isn't going to clean anymore.
    Just wondering what your reason is for not going to 20% in one pass with each machine ? 3 post machine should do that.

First, I don't think I have enough high pressure pump to do it. I believe that I could go to 15% easy enough but to do the 20 would be a little tough. Now that being said with 3 posts I don't think that I really would want to anyways. Going to the 10-12 in one pass is so easy on the machine, therefore its easy on the membranes, Then taking it to 20 is just as easy. Now if I took it straight to 20 my flow would be terrible.... 1 gallon a min... or so would be my guess. Thereby reducing my overall speed. Taking it from 10 to 20 I can do about 10gpm of concentrate which is exactly what my evaporator takes so it works perfectly for my setup.
    Thad

Very well put Thad. What most guys forget is the last membrane in the series takes the most abuse, cutting performance way down. I like your idea with a quick wash and then a more intense one. I do a similar wash as I wash with hot water for 15 mins and then dump and add soap for a longer wash.
    2 1/2 x8 Lapierre Waterloo-Small (oil fired)
    Leader Steamaway
    1200 gph Lapierre RO
    1800 taps
    http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ks/Sugarhouse/

Mike Christian
    505 Main St. Orwell, Vt.

Mike, I do that also, especially when I have pushed it longer than I should have.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Extended forecast does not show any sugaring weather through February 15th

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl'sSapShack@WBM View Post
    Extended forecast does not show any sugaring weather through February 15th
    good not ready
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Blaisdell View Post
    First, I don't think I have enough high pressure pump to do it. I believe that I could go to 15% easy enough but to do the 20 would be a little tough. Now that being said with 3 posts I don't think that I really would want to anyways. Going to the 10-12 in one pass is so easy on the machine, therefore its easy on the membranes, Then taking it to 20 is just as easy. Now if I took it straight to 20 my flow would be terrible.... 1 gallon a min... or so would be my guess. Thereby reducing my overall speed. Taking it from 10 to 20 I can do about 10gpm of concentrate which is exactly what my evaporator takes so it works perfectly for my setup.
    Thad when boiling at that high concentrate do you shut down at any time and clean your flue pan? We have notice a build up at 16% and we went all season last year.
    5 by 16 Thunderbolt with hoods and preheater
    Springtec 800 RO
    Sihi Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    5000 Taps On Vacuum for 2013

just bought a vacuum pump moving into the big times, watch out Thad and Randy
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

+ Reply to Thread