+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

Same song and dance here as well. Still getting over 1gpt, yesterday the sap turn cloudy but went through the RO just fine and the press. Sugar is down to 1.4, and we are making DR now. I’m hoping that is rain will help us today. I was just outside with the dog this morning and there’s a cool damp feeling. So maybe the trees will hold on a little longer. No buds or off taste yet. Next week looks like good syrup production. Just got to get there, still got snow in most of our woods so that maybe be helping to roots out.
    Not throwing in the towel just yet, just hit 50% of our usual crop, need another good week and I think we will be smooth sailing.

Be well and think positive. It’s all up to Mother Nature
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/jtrap/

we had our best run of the year yesterday without a freeze since Sunday. sap was testing 1.6, which i was pleasantly surprised with. pretty darn rainy here today with an expected 1.5" of rain to fall... we'll see how the trees react to that! supposed to be a light freeze here tonight (fingers crossed). we've boiled 6 times this year and have yet to have a need to clean the pans. i don't ever recall a year with as little niter as we're getting this year. it's pretty nice!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Stanbridge Station, Quebec (5 miles north of Highgate, VT):

Sugar maple buds have started to swell. Snow cover is gone. Sap has stopped running Monday overnight. 60% of average crop this year. Can't always have a record year...

Trees in my area in Randolph vt haven't budded yet. Sap didn't start running until sun broke out-permafrost must still be there somewhat.... so hopefully I get 2 more weeks. (weather looks good -fingers crossed)

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Sugar maple buds were still tight (in winter condition) in Underhill when I flew the drone up to take a look the other day (see photo). Sugar maple buds still very tight in Newport, VT, this morning. Red maple flower buds are swelling a little bit, which is normal for this time of year and conditions. Still a little snow left in patches here and there.

SM branches-buds 2021.jpg

The crew is boiling today.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

make that syrup Tim. I just make excellent waffle syrup yesterday and finished this morning. I tend to label my syrup by taste. If it tastes slightly carmel-I say pancakes... if robust-waffles- if light -crepes, but that's me being a culinary guru. Wish more people did this.
    Last edited by tapdrinker; 03-26-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Has anyone tried to make mead (same recipe but use maple syrup)?
    I was thinking of trying this but I have no idea what the outcome might be.
    I plan on some of my end of season sap to concentrate it to about 20% and use the mead formula.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Red maple flower buds are swelling a little bit, which is normal for this time of year and conditions.
    When do/should you pull the taps on the Reds?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by MJPJ Sugars View Post
    When do/should you pull the taps on the Reds?
    We don't. Red maple flower buds don't seem to affect flavor. Once leaf buds just start to break, it's game over.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by tapdrinker View Post
    Has anyone tried to make mead (same recipe but use maple syrup)?
    I was thinking of trying this but I have no idea what the outcome might be.
    I plan on some of my end of season sap to concentrate it to about 20% and use the mead formula.
    There is a small scale meadery in my area that has a maple mead. They said they still have to use a % of honey to get it to work right for them, but that doesn't mean a maple only mead isn't possible. Give it a try and let me know how it works out.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 311 of 372 FirstFirst ... 211261291301302303304305306307308309310311312313314315316317318319320321331361 ... LastLast