+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    If I remember correctly, and I dont have it in front of me he was advocating for 1 tap per tree. Regardless of size ? My Orchard Tends to grow really slowly so it was interesting to me.
    He advocates for a particular style of pattern tapping consisting of 3 levels (heights) of tapping spaced around the stem of the tree, with 15" (for 1/4" spouts) or 16" (for 5/16" spouts) spacing (height) between them.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Trucked another 3000 gallons of 1٪ today. The end is near, syrup is still table grade but getting hard to filter. Been a good season, hoping to get through tomorrow and maybe Friday. We will see.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3900? taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    He advocates for a particular style of pattern tapping consisting of 3 levels (heights) of tapping spaced around the stem of the tree, with 15" (for 1/4" spouts) or 16" (for 5/16" spouts) spacing (height) between them.
    I found this article very interesting gave me a new prospective on tapping. looking at a tree with three different bands of tapping makes sense to me. and I think varying the length of the drop line at the time of drop replacement can allow for fully using all three bands over the years of tapping. In the article he had a specific pattern of tapping but I can see making your own pattern as you see what works for your situation
    10,600 taps on vacuum
    5x16 CDL Master / with steam pan
    3600 GPH CDL RO

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    If I remember correctly, and I dont have it in front of me he was advocating for 1 tap per tree.
    I don't recall whether he was specifically recommending this, but his examples were all 1 tap per tree. We've done 1 tap per tree at UVM PMRC for many years, partly because it is mostly our older trees (with slowest growth rates) that have been tapped the longest (with 7/16" spouts and multiple taps per tree) and in which we have the biggest issue of finding good wood.

The higher your vacuum level, the less benefit you get from adding a second tap on a tree or conversely, with higher vacuum levels you should adjust the diameter at which you add a second tap upward.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Interesting, we run 25 inches of mercury and use two taps on anything over 18" DBH. Still okay or outdated?
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by sapmaple View Post
    I found this article very interesting gave me a new prospective on tapping. looking at a tree with three different bands of tapping makes sense to me. and I think varying the length of the drop line at the time of drop replacement can allow for fully using all three bands over the years of tapping. In the article he had a specific pattern of tapping but I can see making your own pattern as you see what works for your situation
    I agree, I was interested in that article and am even considering using it if/when I set up new woods. We use a tapping pattern now but the pattern shown in that article allows for many more years of tapping. Our pattern needs to be varied/changed after 5 seasons or so on a small tree.

Still getting just under a gallon per tap a day. I shut down my south woods yesterday. Sugar content is holding strong at 1% in my other woods.

Tree hugger, where are you located and what elevation?

Wheelock, Vt. North of lyndonville. My woods are all between 1400 and 1600 ft.

Still going here, light freeze Thursday night kept us chugging along. Looks like a good freeze throughout most of the woods since about 3:30AM this morning, down into the high 20's. Im anticipating an increase in flow but probably not much change in sugar content.
    4700 hundred taps
    7.5 hp Airtech Liquid
    2- 1.5 hp CDL electric releasers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 286 of 367 FirstFirst ... 186236266276277278279280281282283284285286287288289290291292293294295296306336 ... LastLast