+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

what causes the odor from the steam when boiling if it's not due to the tree budding? i am curious to know because i can't think of what else would cause the steam to smell. when the smell first popped up, i was boiling fresh sap that was still coming in. it tasted normal and was crystal clear. bulk tank and feed tank were both cleaned that morning and evaporator cleaned the evening prior. like i mentioned before, my syrup still tasted just fine, but the odor from the steam started to increase rapidly after the first hour ... hour and a half so we quit before i ruined the batch and wasted wood. it's never happened to me before, so it would be kind of nice to know what the cause was. if that's even possible.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Do you have any other than reds tapped? I believe sugars will make buddy syrup, they do not stop their sap flow like Reds do, and maybe silvers don't stop either.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Pulled the plug this morning. Made 500 gallons off of 1700 taps. Not an excellent year but one I am happy with.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

i have a mix of red's, silver and sugar. if i had to guess i'd say 50% sugar, 5% silver and 45% red. out of 220 taps. i know the sugar maples are not the suspect... they're not even showing budding signs yet. perhaps the few silvers i have are the culprit? not really a huge deal... i'm pretty content with this years production considering the weather patterns we had up here.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

TC....I chased the issue last year as year prior to that is was horrible, I couldn't even stand to be in the sugarhouse!! Last year I pulled all reds two weeks early and that didn't help, I then contribute it to the nasty poly tanks that had sap for 10-11 weeks in them building yeast etc. as I have not gone stainless, my releaser sit on top so I usually only rinse them once or twice.

This year I tapped end of February, went until last weekend and didn't come across the odor at all, actually the last few boils smelt pleasant. I do believe it's from the sap quality from sitting in the tanks. And I collect at least daily, so I also believe the bacteria changes the sap quality quite quickly, hoping to upgrade tanks so they are easier to clean.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Blissville, I had the same issue last year and upgrade to stainless tanks this year. Easier to clean and sap doesn't heat up as quickly and helped quality quite a bit.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

Made another 25 tonight. DR. Very heavy maple taste no off flavor. Still running lightly. Going to try again tomorrow....
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    Made another 25 tonight. DR. Very heavy maple taste no off flavor. Still running lightly. Going to try again tomorrow....
    Wow go wiam! I saw 72 on the interstate going from Middlesex to Barre. Spent the day felling trees at work and couldn’t figure out why we sweat so bad all day long until I got in the truck to head home and saw the temperature!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    .....and we're giving it another go over here as well! Sap has been coming in since Wed nights light freeze- fairly clear, but the syrup is still good quality. Until it takes a major turn for the worse, I'm still in it. Plan to boil this sfternoon and should make another 30 gals'
    4X12 A+A Evaporator
    2500 taps, 1200 GPH RO
    Atv w/tracks
    5 generations
    http://www.talbertsmaplefarm.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/TalbertsMapleFarm?ref=hl

That is nice you guys are still in it. I hope you make a bunch more. Good luck.

Spud

+ Reply to Thread
Page 257 of 372 FirstFirst ... 157207237247248249250251252253254255256257258259260261262263264265266267277307357 ... LastLast