+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

Hey BruceL ( I know your reading this) when you put me on your Ignore list you must of made a mistake. It's obvious you continue reading my post and even respond to them. The comments I made were in defense of the CV2 spouts and PMRC. I'm sure Blisses friend did make .6+ without using CV2 spouts. I think that's great and I'm happy for him. I also agree with bliss in part when he talks about tapping a little later can help production. Although there are many times when tapping early will help production numbers increase. Those who need to tap early benefit from using the CV2 spouts. Your profile says you use the CV spouts also. It goes on to say you are a two time World Champion in sugaring. Could it be the CVspouts that helped you become a champion? In my opinion bashing Dr. Tim should not be allowed on this site. People can disagree with him but not bash him.

Spud

BruceL after rereading your post I now see it was not towards me. I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway. I know I have made some traders upset in years past and I have apologized to them. If I am put on anyone's ignore list I would understand. I read your post too fast and thought you were talking about me. It upsets me when certain people bash Dr. Tim and PMRC. The research from PMRC is priceless. Dr.Tims comment on this site are very important. Again I apoligize for misreading your post.

Spud

No offence taken spud,I maybe didn’t word it quite grammatically perfect
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    ........I do know some things pretty well though, and scientists are trained to be pretty outspoken in their arguments (public speaking is definitely not something that comes natural to me...I much prefer a one-on-one conversation...and even better, prefer to not interact with people -- I'd would rather just write).
    I'm not a Vermonter but this is my favorite thread and mainly to see your response to current field conditions.

The improvements in our operation over the last several years track to the knowledge you've shared with an r squared of about 95 percent.

Thanks so much for staying the course!
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday Rock Maple View Post
    I'm not a Vermonter but this is my favorite thread and mainly to see your response to current field conditions.

The improvements in our operation over the last several years track to the knowledge you've shared with an r squared of about 95 percent.

Thanks so much for staying the course!
    I agree.

I will also admit I like reading posts from everyone here in the forum. Going from someone who moved from Maine to Vermont in 2009 and not knowing anything about sugaring. I have stood around rigs since I moved down but only this year did I go in head first. Learned a ton from MT. Not just this thread but using the search button and reading other aspects. It has so far been the best forum I have been part of right next to grizzlycentral. What I appreciate most is large scale producers interacting with driveway boilers like me to all share knowledge and experience. And I thank everyone for being part of that.

Boy that all sounded a bit cheesy...regardless, thanks to everyone for sharing this awesome tradition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

I'm not rubbing Sand in anybody's eyes I like reading these posts as well, it just gets really old hearing about how great these Cvs are when alot of people dont agree. You wouldn't drop from .6 to .35 if u went from CVS to regular spouts. Then you got spud and dr.tim hand-in-hand about the CVS. I can't handle that crap I'm a very traditional person and a lot of people come out here to get information and when somebody asks about what spout to use all their told is use check valves ise check valves you don't hear anybody else explaining the other side of it. I don't even know why come on here at times it's like watching the news. if you want to use check valves fine go for it I have I use them this year I didn't make twice the amount of syrup the season wasn't long enough it didn't start till the end of February and just ended last week. I mean what good is a check valve on a six-week season. I could keep going on and on about this but I'm not going to I have one bit of factual knowledge below and that's about it.

Out pulling taps today I pulled a check that the drop was below the lateral and full of sap and for some reason when I pull the check valve out of the tree all the sap came gushing out of the tap! Guess that one didn't seat...

What some are failing to realize is that all these studies on new drops old drops check valves 2 years old 1 year old whatever is that every tap whole is different every run is different everyday is different there is no way for a scientist to tell exactly what's going on inside that tree as far as suction and the amount of volume and uptake inside that tree on any given freeze, unless you somehow install flow meters at the base of that tree, haha. So if you don't know what's going in that tree and you don't know how viable your tap hole is how can you be so sure that one tap outperforms the other and if all you ever try is check valves then I don't know. yes that particular tap may have pulled out more sap through it but that doesn't mean it's because the tap. And then factor in that there is no way to gauge the integrity of a taphole, meaning just because you have a hole in a tree does not mean it's going to put out 100% of what a perfect hole could and there's no measurement to determine this. Just think about what I'm saying, and again no doubt the concept is there but and that's a big but........ Always hearing about how great these check valves are when I don't see alot of difference. maybe if you tried doing it like traditional ways and tap at the proper time you wouldnt think that so much Because you'd yield the same, I mean of course doctor Tim's going to agree with everything you say about them so the whole conversation gets biased and anyone that says any different they don't know what they're talking about bc they're not a scientist.....

That's fine I don't really care if people don't want to listen to what I say I am just not a fool I was not born stupid I didn't get stupid over the years don't let the wolf guard the sheep! You want to listen to somebody that selling something go for it just remember money is evil it's one of the most evil things on the planet people will do anything for it, lie steal cheat kill..... Just some food for thought
    Last edited by blissville maples; 04-18-2019 at 06:58 AM.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

On a different note we had a great season all cleaned up should have all art taps pulled by the end of the weekend. Made some extremely nice light syrup as well as some good dark, have a new buyer this year for a syrup so we are happy no more bascom's!!

Good luck to allsorry if I stirred the pot and some don't like that but somebody has to this cannot be a one-sided show
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    You don't seem to understand that this forum is a community of maple enthusiasts that are here to share information. Many of us actually know each other and enjoy sharing our experiences and love of this way of life. Your posts make it seem like you are instead here to rub sand in our eyes and tell us all how we should be doing it. If you want to share your opinions, so be it. But to continually disrespect the members of this forum that do their best to maintain a respectful dialogue about maple is obnoxious to say the least.

If your family friend has already figured out how to do it, why don't you just follow his lead instead of continually coming back here during maple season to generate posts that are really nothing more than a turd in all of our drinks. Clearly you are the smartest guy here and already have it figured out so why are you even here?
    Well if he has figured it out, and I went that route and was happy... Then wouldn't it be nice to share this with other people so they can maybe skip the check valves in January tapping and try it later in the season. Let them figure it out and not be persuaded by somebody, not to mention who wants to sugar for 12 weeks with 1000-4000 taps alot more profitable in a six-week season. all thrse folks looking for info (alot of them gravity) told to do is buy check valves and tap early. shouldn't somebody be on the other side of this explaining the other side. I don't claim to be a genius and their friend doesn't either but I can tell you what he knows how to make syrup it's been made on their farms since the 1800s

General we are not all a bunch of polite ladies, some of us speak our mind. I have not been castrated!! Seems like a lot of people don't like disagreements and no doubt I speak with emotion sometimes and words can get misinterpreted but I'm not going to sit here and listen to a bunch of junk day in and day out about check valves in dr. Tim getting praised over it. the proctor Maple research center has been around a long time before him, I'm not bashing him I'm just saying he's sitting up there taking the money laughing loving it because everybody's got them held up so high. I don't really care take me off this site if you can handle what I got to say about somebody too bad it's a free world freedom of speech don't turn it political where when somebody's not like minded you just shun them out. Seems like every time I got something to say in disagreance you want to come on and be the first one to point out how derogatory I am and put a turd in a drink.... Well wouldn't it be nice if everybody was like you!!
    Last edited by blissville maples; 04-18-2019 at 06:54 AM.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

Does anyone else feel like there reading a middle school diary on a maple site. Can we move on? If you have a beef with someone please handle it in the private message and stop clogging up the forum. Thank you
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

We ended our season last night. i believe my red maples are starting to bud or some have budded. half way through our boil last night we got a very nutty aroma from the steam. syrup still tasted as it should. about 3/4 the way through the boil we started getting the dirty sock smell... so we stopped! it was a decent year, but busy and quick! i believe if i didn't have the red maples, i'd probably be alright to continue. no real sign of budding on those. we still have a foot of snow in the woods! Let the clean up begin! good luck to all of those still at it!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 255 of 372 FirstFirst ... 155205235245246247248249250251252253254255256257258259260261262263264265275305355 ... LastLast