+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by sugaringcrazy View Post
    ...do you think it will let loose next week?
    Based on the forecast it would appear that much of Vermont could get a good sap run next week, but you never know for sure.

As for how much you might lose....if you provide me with a detailed forecast for the next month (which nobody really can....despite what Accuweather seems to think) then perhaps I'd be able to tell you. Could be a little, could be a lot.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thank you Dr. Tim! (Are you like the Dr. Phil for maple addicts? )

Yes, you're quite right - it's 100 nights below freezing, not 100 nights below zero. I could pretend that I meant zero Celsius, but that would be an alternative fact

Looking forward to a run this week - as you say, the big stems take a while to thaw out, so maybe we'll get something going by Tuesday or Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by pen61guin View Post
    Thank you Dr. Tim! (Are you like the Dr. Phil for maple addicts? )
    Wow....I hope not. Not a real fan of Dr. Phil.

Yes, you're quite right - it's 100 nights below freezing, not 100 nights below zero. I could pretend that I meant zero Celsius, but that would be an alternative fact.
    I think what you are referring to is the chilling requirement to break bud dormancy. Different northern tree species have different cold temperature requirements necessary to break down growth inhibition compounds to allow the buds to become active. Sap flow in maple is a very different biophysical process. It will happen any time the leaves are off and the temperatures go from below to above freezing.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Wow....I hope not. Not a real fan of Dr Phil.
    Closer to Gandalf I'd say........
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

had a fairly decent run this weekend considering there is 3-4 feet of snow around the trees! we tapped Saturday a.m and by the time we were done the trees were dripping. between Saturday and yesterday we were able to flush the lines and clean the tanks. I shut the valve on the tanks yesterday at 10 a.m and we were able to gather 125 gallons from my 200 taps between then 7:30 last night. sugar is low... 1.6. if the forecast comes true this week, we'll be making syrup by the end of the week!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Sugaring has started for me. I got 1.5 GPT in the last day and a half. I am running terrible vacuum right now at just 20 inches. It appears me and my friend missed several drops during tapping. Going to head up in the woods and try to get them today and tomorrow. Snow is still very deep making it hard for me to get around. Should see big sap this week. Sugar levels seem to be a bit higher this year for me. I have a funny feeling sugaring will be over by the end of March in my area. Time will tell. Good luck everyone.

Spud

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday Rock Maple View Post
    Closer to Gandalf I'd say........
    I'll take that . You should have seen me during my recovery. Didn't shave or cut my hair for a couple of months (I did shower though ). My nieces and nephews started calling me Santa. Finally trimmed the beard and got my hair cut a week or so ago.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Tapped in on Sat and every tree was running ! Collected last night and got around 30 gallons on 60 taps. Looking like this will be THE week for me ! Time to get the evap setup ... yikes
    31 Taps in 2011 with buckets, Barrel evap
    45+ Taps for 2012 with buckets, 2x5 Dryer Arch with steel pans ! 8x11 Sugar Shack, Dump Stations,
    60 Taps for 2013- Insulated Dryer arch, AUF,
    2014 watched from sidelines...
    70 Taps for 2015 - dryer arch, new 2x5 divided pan from Smokey Lake with a float box !
    70 Taps for 2016 - added a preheater and new grates for the Dryerator.
    80 Taps for 2018 - Dryer arch got new front and door

I decided the weather was too much for me to wait it out so I tapped one big set of trees that is about half red maples. I kept another set of trees untapped as a sort if insurance plan just in case winter sets back in for a few weeks. Looks like we'll be boiling by mid-week for sure.
    173 on 3/16 natural vac for 2023
    36 buckets
    2 x 5 Smoky Lake Hybrid pan on a custom arch
    RB25 from RO Bucket
    12x24 salvaged sugarhouse built by wife's grandpa
    1965 Massey Ferguson 165 tractor to haul sap.

I am going to tap Wed. afternoon and Thursday. I was worried I might not be able to because of my knees and the deep snow. But we lost so much snow I can probably tap without snow shoes and my knees should be able to handle that.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

+ Reply to Thread
Page 160 of 368 FirstFirst ... 60110140150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170180210260 ... LastLast