+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

My biggest day today, as I made 10 gallons. Syrup is darkening some, and my last sample was Amber and not anywhere near dark. Sap still running some on vacuum, and I may have a freeze tonight, but a cold day. Snow in the morning, turning to a cold rain.
    My biggest year at 60 gallons.
    Eric of the Greens... I Fly Solo...
    2013-15 Block arch to having it all...
    2016...320 on vacuum. 155 gravity, 90 buckets.
    All homemade equipment except Smokey Lake pans.
    2x6 arch, Electric releaser w/ Gast 1023 24" vacuum
    2x4x40 RO w/ dual 265gph Procons
    My PWS with webcam... https://www.wunderground.com/persona...READS2#history

Well, it has been a great two days. Almost 23,000 gallons in 36 hours. Made 11 more barrels of syrup. This might be a good season after all.
    Lucky Dog Maple LLC
    8,000 taps
    7.5 hp Busch pump with VFD
    1,200 gph Lapierre RO
    4x16 Lapierre Hurricane Force 5 wood fired arch

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Great sap runs over the weekend. Vacuum was high throughout the time. Sugar content is still good, about 2.2-2.3 Brix. Every tank was full when we started yesterday morning, and it was still coming in well, so took some time to catch up to it. We boiled for nearly 10 hrs. Made 229 gal of very nice syrup (probably a record boil length and production day for us). We're up to about 45% of a (minimum) crop so far. Glad to have it freeze up a bit early last night. Cool and windy this morning, so probably not going to flow well today until after lunch, but it is coming in slowly. Looks a lot better for most of the rest of this week though, so better rest while we can.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Great sap runs over the weekend.
    Looks a lot better for most of the rest of this week though, so better rest while we can.
    I posted some grim weather facts about this year, and being rookie at this I thought we may have a early/short season, but it appears not right now. Dr Tim pointed out that the trees would not be fooled with the moderately warm weather, and he was right. I just had one day that hit 71 degrees. We seem to be returning closer to normal temperatures for the next couple weeks, and that is good news.
    Good Luck To You All!
    Eric of the Greens... I Fly Solo...
    2013-15 Block arch to having it all...
    2016...320 on vacuum. 155 gravity, 90 buckets.
    All homemade equipment except Smokey Lake pans.
    2x6 arch, Electric releaser w/ Gast 1023 24" vacuum
    2x4x40 RO w/ dual 265gph Procons
    My PWS with webcam... https://www.wunderground.com/persona...READS2#history

I have about 3200 in the tank. It did not freeze in all my woods last night. Sap is running about 325 GPH right now. Hope to get half gallon of sap per tap today. I hope for a great week. Good luck everyone.

Spud

No sap here today. Still only 33* and snow. Let's hope for tomarrow!

Running ok today, probably 350 since 6 am. We did have a freeze last night but it warmed up quick this am and started running right away once it hit 33. The dry lines were carrying most of it when I left for work at 7. Now it is 36 with a forecasted high of 45, but I doubt we will get that warm. Low of 39 forecasted tonight but I think this cold air circulating in from the NE caught the NWS by surprise. Maybe we will get another freeze tonight?

I had a good quick boil last night and made 15 gal. of DR, just over from AR. I had a fair bit of slime in the tanks which I think was the result of the ice that formed in the lines during Friday night's freeze scrubbing out the lines. Will be interesting to see if the syrup lightens when I boil tomorrow. Taking today off from boiling to work on other stuff.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Boiled permeate tonight and pushed through. Got another 6 gallons for my efforts. We are up to 95 gallons, which is the best year yet, and are quite happy. If the trees hold off, we will be back at it this weekend. Buds on the red maples are very swollen. Buds on the sugar maples still look ok. Will pull my red maple taps this week and will only have sugar maples when I turn the vacuum pump back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3X8 D&G with airtight arch, hood and preheater. - 400 Vacuum and 435 gravity. 16X24 sugarhouse. Deer Run 250 RO. DG 7" filter press. Grew up with maple. At 18 months old my Dad frost bit me when in a baby carrier while we were tapping in South Reading, VT...1954 Ferguson with trailer for Sap Collection, JD 850 and a 64 international scout woods buggy.
    Pulan Pruning saw, Husky Rancher 455, and Stihl 064av to tame the woods.

did complete count of all jugged syrup we are at 110 gallons plus a few 3.4oz bottles. we have 300 from yesterday to boil tonight and if any comes in today. very dark even after cleaning everything.

NOT SELLING BULK THIS YEAR!!!!!
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

No freeze here last night. Wind and rain all night and temps around 35. Sap should run all day but nothing to big. Looks like we have two more warmer nights and then back into cold temps again. This is a great March so far. I am hoping for record numbers this year. No sun for days. Got to love it.

Spud

+ Reply to Thread
Page 126 of 368 FirstFirst ... 2676106116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136146176226 ... LastLast