+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    Dr.Tim I hope you get a .6+ this season. The CV2s should allow us to get bigger flows.
    We're already there once we boil what we've already got in the concentrate and sap tanks. Sitting at around 0.61+ gal/tap (6.7 lbs/tap) right now. One more decent run would put us over 7 lbs/tap. Figure we'll boil in shorts and Hawaiian shirts on Friday (high temp of 70 deg F)...perhaps a tropical beverage or two.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 04-16-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    You got to love it. Let's hope we get a bunch More sap all the way to the weekend.

Dr.Tim I hope you get a .6+ this season. The CV2s should allow us to get bigger flows.

Spud
    Lol...... Ream holes and boil til next year....you guys will make it to may at least with the cv2s
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

We got some snow and didn't get much of a freeze here but it seems to have been enough to re-boot the trees, especially at higher elevation. we are getting pretty good flow now which makes 6lbs/tap look pretty achievable with tonights freeze and a possible freeze wednesday night too.
    good luck to everyone
    4700 hundred taps
    7.5 hp Airtech Liquid
    2- 1.5 hp CDL electric releasers

We ended our season on Friday, ended up making 72 gal of amber rich/robust. Puts us at .36gal/tap. We suffered from low sugar content with the long warm ups, and we do have quite a few smaller trees. The RO saves us. That all said, I'm happy with our season, this is the first of our "larger" backyard effort.

We are mostly 3/16 (all with 25-28" vac), with 30 buckets. We also started running a shurflo on our mainline to boost vacuum on our lower trees halfway through the season. Made a big difference.

Goals for next year include a hood/preheater for our 2x6, a filter press, and tapping the upper section of my property which will double our production.

I am curious about using CV spouts...im currently doing 3/16 with 5/16 drops. Dr. Tim, what are your thoughts? Ive read that pullback is severe in 3/16, but doesnt the larger diameter drop help? Should I sell the hundreds of extra spouts I have purchased in favor of cv? I do have one line I use 3/16 drops in to use as a control, I saw similar production until the last week, and it did indeed slow down...but it is also a year older. I want to maximize the yield and beat the odds of losing after 3 years on 3/16.
    Last edited by bj's sugaring; 04-16-2019 at 07:32 PM.
    200 on 3/16" vacuum plus some buckets
    D&G 2x6 7" drop flue wood fired
    Lapierre 200gph RO
    "We like it sticky"

Sap started running hard late today. Going to freeze tonight in the high 20s. Sap should start rolling early morning. Should be a big day tomorrow.

Spud

Quote Originally Posted by bj's sugaring View Post
    We ended our season on Friday, ended up making 72 gal of amber rich/robust. Puts us at .36gal/tap. We suffered from low sugar content with the long warm ups, and we do have quite a few smaller trees. The RO saves us. That all said, I'm happy with our season, this is the first of our "larger" backyard effort.

We are mostly 3/16 (all with 25-28" vac), with 30 buckets. We also started running a shurflo on our mainline to boost vacuum on our lower trees halfway through the season. Made a big difference.

Goals for next year include a hood/preheater for our 2x6, a filter press, and tapping the upper section of my property which will double our production.

I am curious about using CV spouts...im currently doing 3/16 with 5/16 drops. Dr. Tim, what are your thoughts? Ive read that pullback is severe in 3/16, but doesnt the larger diameter drop help? Should I sell the hundreds of extra spouts I have purchased in favor of cv? I do have one line I use 3/16 drops in to use as a control, I saw similar production until the last week, and it did indeed slow down...but it is also a year older. I want to maximize the yield and beat the odds of losing after 3 years on 3/16.
    If you're adding taps next year, use the new taps you've purchased in that section since the tubing will be new. If you want to use CVs, use them on the older drops. If you still have more traditional spouts, save them for when you replace drops in the future.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Our freeze last night yielded a gallon per tap and it will probably run for a while yet.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    If you're adding taps next year, use the new taps you've purchased in that section since the tubing will be new. If you want to use CVs, use them on the older drops. If you still have more traditional spouts, save them for when you replace drops in the future.
    I like that idea, thanks
    200 on 3/16" vacuum plus some buckets
    D&G 2x6 7" drop flue wood fired
    Lapierre 200gph RO
    "We like it sticky"

Quote Originally Posted by blissville maples View Post
    Lol...... Ream holes and boil til next year....you guys will make it to may at least with the cv2s
    Bliss- you criticize the CV2 spouts and turn a blind eye to all maple research. You seem to suggest you know more about maple sugaring then PMRC. You finished your season at .44 gpt and PMRC will finish at .7-.8 gpt. Was math not your strong point?

Spud

Light coating of snow last night. Only got down to 31°. Did not stop running. Got maybe 1/3 gallon/ tap. Supposed to be 28 tonight.......
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

+ Reply to Thread
Page 253 of 372 FirstFirst ... 153203233243244245246247248249250251252253254255256257258259260261262263273303353 ... LastLast