+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

Yes here too. The lines froze but I'm not sure the trees did. Either way it hopefully helped slow the inevitable onset of bud break. It has fortunately been staying cool here with continued decent sap flow. Over 1 gpt in 24 hours without a freeze since Thursday night. Going to clean today and get ready to boil tomorrow am and see how the syrup tastes. I'm hoping to make some good dark syrup as I have only made some dark amber and very little real dark robust.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

34 when I left Middlesex this morning on my way to Newport for a course. Hit 29 and snowing on my way through Barton. Roads got a little hairy and there is definitely a lot more snow coming up through Greensboro. They will be sugar i g there until June!
    We pulled the plug this past Sunday. Out of wood and ambition to continue boiling at 13gph. Blew our 3 gallon goal out of the water but won’t have a final tally until we bottle. Good luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Mead Maple View Post
    34 when I left Middlesex this morning on my way to Newport for a course. Hit 29 and snowing on my way through Barton. Roads got a little hairy and there is definitely a lot more snow coming up through Greensboro. They will be sugaring there until June!
    Welcome to the Northeast Kingdom! Yup...we got snow, and more snow, then even more snow. Grew up in Barton...now living in Newport. Seemed to snow at least a little every day all winter. Just a few inches a day doesn't seem like much until it happens every day for a few months. Snowbanks were up to the light on the lightpost in the driveway (6' up). Snowdrift out our back door over 6' high, then up over the hedge and nearly 8' high on the neighbors lawn. Melted back to only 4' high today. Yes...sugaring has just started up here and will probably continue a good bit longer. Drove down to NYC to do a presentation and to visit the daughter a week and a half back - by the time we got to White River Jctn it seemed almost tropical.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 04-09-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

i'm in Derby and i still have a snow bank up to the eaves on my sugar house. i'm only at around 1200-1250 feet and there's still 2.5 feet of snow in the woods. better than the 4' we had 3 weeks ago. i've been having excellent sugar content and the runs now are starting to go very well! i'm at 1/2 my crop for the year, so it should be another good year up here. hopefully another 2 weeks left!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Quote Originally Posted by tcross View Post
    i'm in Derby and i still have a snow bank up to the eaves on my sugar house. i'm only at around 1200-1250 feet and there's still 2.5 feet of snow in the woods. better than the 4' we had 3 weeks ago. i've been having excellent sugar content and the runs now are starting to go very well! i'm at 1/2 my crop for the year, so it should be another good year up here. hopefully another 2 weeks left!
    Went down to 29 degrees at midnight and all my woods froze. Sap slowed down late yesterday to just 100 GPH. Sap is now running 375 GPH and should run till 10:00pm before we freeze hard again. Two more weeks easy.

Spud

Checked my woods when I went home at lunch. Lines and releaser are still frozen. Was snowing pretty hard but seems to be switching to rain now. Still only 32 degrees. Doesn't look like any sap today.

1400 gallons of 2.4% sap today at 33 degrees, cold northern wind, and a snow storm. What a weird day for a good run.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

Got another 3000 gallons yesterday. Right now at 6:00 am it's 25 degrees and one inch of fresh snow on the ground. Going to be cold today so I not sure if the sap will run.

my 200 trees gave up 125 gallons yesterday with a high of 34 wind and snow... weird indeed!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Did a little better than 1gal/tap yesterday between 10am and 8pm when it stopped dead. I think it'll break loose today even if its marginal weather, these trees want to run!
    4700 hundred taps
    7.5 hp Airtech Liquid
    2- 1.5 hp CDL electric releasers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 248 of 372 FirstFirst ... 148198228238239240241242243244245246247248249250251252253254255256257258268298348 ... LastLast