+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

I finished tapping last week. Just in time for some action. Sap ran a bit yesterday afternoon, and I was surprised to see it run a bit better today. Amazing what that sun can do... I haven't collected any sap yet but did get the releaser put back together and the vacuum pump running. Spent a couple hours today repairing leaks and got the vac from 6" to 26". Still a few small leaks out there which I hope to get to Saturday.

Now that the lines are rinsed I'm ready to close the valve on the sap tank and officially start the season. Time to get everything else ready to be able to boil...
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Hi guys
    Quick question for you. I’m running a new to me Busch mink 1142 this year. Great pump builds nice vac.
    My question is, when I shut it down it seems to slow down like normal with the VFD. But when it stops it sounds like it starts turning backwards. I’ve had this happen before on other pumps. Can’t remember what I did to cure the problem. I was thinking a check valve between pump and releaser?
    Any insight?
    Thank you
    PM
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/jtrap/

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Just enough sap to tease in Underhill....murky and low sugar (1 Brix).
    I guess I don't feel top bad, starting at 1.3 -4 here- not impressed hoping it's not another one of those years, what's the deal with the low sugar lately?!?

Pulled some junk out of lines Tuesday and wensday let that go and started filling tanks. What a battle getting the vaccum up everywhere! Just about everywhere starting at 0, porcupines, squirrel and coyotes! The price for head of squirrel around here is up to 5$!

Finally managed to get up to 27-28 on all but one, still some Walking to do, more sap flow would help, and half the leaks are iced so that doesn't help.

But we managed to get around 3800 gallons of sap. Probably do a first boil Saturday. Ro is rinsed, washing that today and will ro either tonight or in the morning.
    Can't wait.

Haven't hears from one of the regulars on here, no word from spud this season??
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Quote Originally Posted by PARKER MAPLE View Post
    Hi guys
    Quick question for you. I’m running a new to me Busch mink 1142 this year. Great pump builds nice vac.
    My question is, when I shut it down it seems to slow down like normal with the VFD. But when it stops it sounds like it starts turning backwards. I’ve had this happen before on other pumps. Can’t remember what I did to cure the problem. I was thinking a check valve between pump and releaser?
    Any insight?
    Thank you
    PM
    All vacuum pumps need a check valve between pump and releaser to keep them from running backwards at shutdown. Some pumps can be damaged by running backwards too many times.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by VTfarmboy View Post
    .33 gpt in the last 24 hours testing 1.5%
    Vt farmboy- is that your new install over in Castleon by the orchard and the old depot there?
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    All vacuum pumps need a check valve between pump and releaser to keep them from running backwards at shutdown. Some pumps can be damaged by running backwards too many times.
    Yes what he said. The check valve will also prevent any oil from making it into the releaser when the pump runs backwards...

Spud moved to Hawaii...
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

.25 gpt in the last 24hr now testing 2%......Blissville not sure who has the new install in ellis orchard all my taps on here on the farm

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    Yes what he said. The check valve will also prevent any oil from making it into the releaser when the pump runs backwards...

Spud moved to Hawaii...
    No oil on these dry claw pumps. I have a MES protection valve. Thought that by shutting off the valve/ closing that would do the job. But it dosnt
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/jtrap/

Sap ran really hard yesterday for a few hours. Hoping to be closer to 2% after the freeze. Ro'd 2600 gallons last night so all set to rock and roll this weekend.

Oh ok, I guess there are more in the area than I know! You'll have that, good season to ya. You must be up there by Brian on east Hubbardton rd at the farm there.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

Sap is just starting to drizzle on top of the mountain.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 299 of 372 FirstFirst ... 199249279289290291292293294295296297298299300301302303304305306307308309319349 ... LastLast