+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    I don't know....I chase with permeate after every boil and can usually get the contents in the flue pan down to 6% sugar...
    So basically you're doing a hybrid of the two approaches.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Shut it down this morning and dumped about 2000gal. Its remarkable how much sap Im still getting even with the pump off, but the quality and sugar content was gone. Despite my constant complaining throughout this long season its always hard for me to shut the pump off and turn the valves on that last sap.
    I haven't verified the test of the last couple loads with my buyer but I'd guess Im around 7.2 lbs/tap or .65 gal/tap. Lots of modifications and some expansion planned for next season... but right now Im looking forward to taking a little time off from sapping work once I'm cleaned up.
    4700 hundred taps
    7.5 hp Airtech Liquid
    2- 1.5 hp CDL electric releasers

Thanks Dr. Tim, I'll tell my dad about this approach and hopefully our last boil will go smoother next year.

I plan to start tapping on January 21st. My buddy from Alaska is going to help me tap this year. We hope to get done in 8-10 days. I'm starting to get the bug. I was able to get the 4-wheeler into the woods the other day. I had a few trees on mainlines that needed cutting. As of right now the woods looks good but that can all change in the next month. Good luck everyone.

Spud

Same here spud, I have been getting itchy and thinking it's going to be upon us soon. Got in one of our woods Saturday and only had a few trees on lines. I figured after that last major storm that knocked power out here for 7days we would be screwed. Not to bad there. I will do the other woods this weekend and keep my fingers crossed.
    Good luck this season
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/jtrap/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

We're targeting Jan 15 to start tapping, but that'll depend upon the weather a little. Hope to be done by early-February. Sugarhouse is in good shape. Need to do a little pump reconfiguration and some plumbing for that since we had CDL put in a new 3" Rapitube dry line from the pump location (in the lab basement) to the RO/Releaser room.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I have been chipping away at getting things ready in the woods. Had to clear limbs again after the heavy snow we had in November and December and re-tension some mainlines. Hoping to redo a section of mainline that has too many repairs and was problematic last season with freeze ups as well as repair a few other problem areas before being ready to tap later in January. Looks like a good chance for another up and down kind of winter so hoping to be ready to catch some February runs if they come. We are still getting used to life with our newborn daughter but loving every minute. Been getting her out in the woods a little bit...
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Woods work has started. And for the last few weekends we have been able to get things in order. Our new lease last year got 500' more of mainline to get us to the road side. I built and spray foamed insulated a new pump house. Green mountain power will be doing the service hook up later this week. Purchase a airtech pump for there, and will have an electric releaser.
    The old woods we decided. Rip it all out and replace it all. Seems crazy this late to do. But man we made so good progress these last two weekends there. Bought a SS open tank for there and will build a roof for that will except the releaser so it's under the same cover. No power options there. So an airablo vac pump and mechanical releaser will do the job.hoping to get 1200 back online there.
    Got lots still to do in sugarhouse as well, installing the air injection in the evaporator. And lots of cleaning of tanks ec.
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/jtrap/

We have about 6500 taps in. A little less than halfway done. Been making good progress since we started on Dec 29 with little snow and good temperatures, though looks like that will change after tomorrow. Grateful to be done with college and able to dedicate this spring to sugaring. Not much is new for us this year except we got a new releaser in our small bush and got an automatic shutoff valve from MES for our Jericho woods. We kept getting these huge torrents of sap that would get unleashed when a big freeze would thaw out and it would flood the releaser, moisture trap, and pump. So for pretty cheap MES installed a valve between our releaser and moisture trap that connects to a sensor placed near the top of the releaser. Once sap touches that sensor it immediately shuts off the valve and it reopens once the sump pumps have time to clear out the sap and the sensors are free again. I'll let you all know how it works but I think it's a great investment. Good luck to all this winter/spring.

Finishing up my 600ish tap expansion. Should be done tomorrow, then building a 12x16 pump house in the next week or so. Very excited to be upgrading to an electric releaser.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 225 of 372 FirstFirst ... 125175205215216217218219220221222223224225226227228229230231232233234235245275325 ... LastLast