+ Reply to Thread
Page 184 of 185 FirstFirst ... 84134164174175176177178179180181182183184185 LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 1842

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

  1. #1831
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT
    Posts
    3,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    It was a very good year and I finished at .48 GPT.
    So close Spud....so close.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

  2. #1832
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,796

    Default

    And yet so far away. It was a great year.

    Spud

  3. #1833
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Dummerston, VT
    Posts
    12

    Default High seed count?

    Are people seeing an extra ordinary amount of flower buds this year?
    I'm curious what causes a buds to go flower or leaf? I've heard that after a big seed year comes a low sugar content spring. Anyone have any insights?
    Wondering if the drought last year could be a cause?
    I poked around for a thread that answers these questions and couldn't find one. If the info is out there feel free to just direct me.
    Mike
    The Bunker Farm
    Dummerston, VT

  4. #1834
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bristol, VT
    Posts
    1,548

    Default

    Do you mean on sugar maples?
    2014- 550 on High Vac
    2015 - 752 on High Vac and 2 Buckets
    2016 - 750 on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

  5. #1835
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Dummerston, VT
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    Do you mean on sugar maples?
    Oh Ya. I should have specified.

  6. #1836
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT
    Posts
    3,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meuphrat View Post
    I've heard that after a big seed year comes a low sugar content spring. Anyone have any insights?
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/Does%20Mast...entrations.pdf

    We are currently conducting a study on this (seeding) and other biological and environmental influences on sap sugar content and sap yield. I've spoken about it once (North American meeting last fall in Burlington) and will be again at the Leader Evaporator Co. Open House this Friday/Saturday. It'll probably end up as a paper in the Maple Digest sometime in the next year or two.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

  7. #1837
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Dummerston, VT
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/Does%20Mast...entrations.pdf

    We are currently conducting a study on this (seeding) and other biological and environmental influences on sap sugar content and sap yield. I've spoken about it once (North American meeting last fall in Burlington) and will be again at the Leader Evaporator Co. Open House this Friday/Saturday. It'll probably end up as a paper in the Maple Digest sometime in the next year or two.
    Awesome!
    Thanks Dr. Tim!
    Can't wait to see the study.
    Seems like one of the main points of the article you linked was the need for producers to keep good records. Has anyone come up with a standardized way of sugar season record collection?
    I would be interested in seeing a list of all the useful variables that producers could keep track of day to day during sugar season as well as off season variables.
    Again thanks for the info.
    Mike

  8. #1838
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    bennington vermont
    Posts
    17

    Default

    okay, I screwed up!!!....usually after the season I clean my plastic holding tanks but this season I dropped the ball and now they are a mess....what's the best way to clean them?
    any idea's or suggestions???

  9. #1839
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Barnet, VT
    Posts
    2,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woodfordmark View Post
    okay, I screwed up!!!....usually after the season I clean my plastic holding tanks but this season I dropped the ball and now they are a mess....what's the best way to clean them?
    any idea's or suggestions???
    Really good pressure washer.
    William
    900 taps plus 900 purchased sap
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian design arch
    1986 Seprotech 900 RO

  10. #1840
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    bennington vermont
    Posts
    17

    Default

    did the pressure washer today, got a lot of it but not all of it...didn't know if soaking it with baking soda would help....thoughts?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 184 of 185 FirstFirst ... 84134164174175176177178179180181182183184185 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts