+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

Hi Spud, Marc from Deerfield NH. When I started to convince my self to tap the trees hear I had to learn the cost to do so. Seven years ago I was just a resident care taker of the 22 acres. So I made the expense to get in the sap. I have learned from you and others this about using vacuum. Yup I can get sap when it is running. I now have the deed to the acreage. Now evaporator this year. I have done some boiling but its nuts. I have been trading sap for syrup from the producer down the rd ho have been sugaring for 44 years. Seven more years of bricklaying. I will re do the slapped up shack to a real one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Duclos View Post
    Hi Spud, Marc from Deerfield NH. When I started to convince my self to tap the trees hear I had to learn the cost to do so. Seven years ago I was just a resident care taker of the 22 acres. So I made the expense to get in the sap. I have learned from you and others this about using vacuum. Yup I can get sap when it is running. I now have the deed to the acreage. Now evaporator this year. I have done some boiling but its nuts. I have been trading sap for syrup from the producer down the rd ho have been sugaring for 44 years. Seven more years of bricklaying. I will re do the slapped up shack to a real one.
    Hi Marc it's nice to hear from you. Thats great you have gotten the deed to the land. Go easy on the brick laying so you do not wreck your back. I doing good up here and have some land deals in the making. Good luck this season.

Spud

I was able to get .62 GPT yesterday on this run. It looks like we may get 3-4 more runs in the next 10 days here in the North. I'm hoping to hit 3/4 season by April 1st. Sugar is holding at 1.8% right now. I sure hope we can run till the 20th of April. I will be planting 100 more apple trees in just 4 weeks.

Spud

I was surprised to see the sap ran all night here (Georgia - Franklin County). Back-yard weather gauge registered a low of 32 -- never got below. Still running steady. Nice surprise

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    I was able to get .62 GPT yesterday on this run.
    About the same here...add that to about 2,000 gal we had from before the last freeze and it's looking to be a busy day. Starting the RO shortly and should be boiling around lunch.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Amazing how much the sun made a difference for these runs we had on Saturday, Sunday, and yesterday. Didn't think much would happen with all the cold and then the snow insulating the frozen ground. Our big bush was testing 2.1 yesterday which is well above the 1.4-1.6 it has been testing all season. Vac is pretty tight in both woods and everything is running smooth, though I never am quite happy enough with our vacuum levels.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Starting the RO shortly and should be boiling around lunch.
    Please forgive the New Yorker on the Vermont thread, but I had to ask what percent concentrate you are feeding that new evaporator (the one that was so hard to see with all the smiling folks in front of it a few days ago) with?
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

ran all night here in bennington as well MJPJ....sugar was 2.5% this morning and 2.2% tonight

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday Rock Maple View Post
    ...but I had to ask what percent concentrate you are feeding that new evaporator (the one that was so hard to see with all the smiling folks in front of it a few days ago) with?
    Typically around 32-35 Brix concentrate.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Typically around 32-35 Brix concentrate.
    ......on earth as it is in heaven...........
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 169 of 372 FirstFirst ... 69119149159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179189219269 ... LastLast