+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is too early?

Question When is too early?

I'm not a pro but I have been making a few gallons with my kid for ten years now. I guess this will be the tenth. I can't recall ever having tapped in January but the extended forecast looks really good. I'm not ready, my new evaporator isn't even done yet but I have the old one. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tapping to early you run the risk of your holes closing. Once it gets cold again and the sap stops flowing.

Up here in NH when using buckets it isn't a good idea to tap before the 1st of March even if the weather looks favorable.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Just my .02... If tapping for an early season I half tap my trees..in other words if the tree gets 2 taps then put one in...if you need you can always tap the other in or move the one that dries up....Simple fact is that you can't boil the sap that is still in the trees...
    Chris Hicks
    The Sugar House at Morningstar Farm
    24x50 sugar House
    New 4x12 reverse fired leader arch and steam away
    new h2o innovations 1000 gph r.o.
    it's time to get back in the woods!
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

Thanks all,
    We put half a dozen in yesterday, which is about half of what I usually use. I did order some check valve taps over the weekend as they claim they help with closed holes from early tapping. Here in RI the season can be very, very short as it warms up so fast sometimes.

Good luck...keep us posted please
    Chris Hicks
    The Sugar House at Morningstar Farm
    24x50 sugar House
    New 4x12 reverse fired leader arch and steam away
    new h2o innovations 1000 gph r.o.
    it's time to get back in the woods!
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

each year , i seem to miss a nice run in febraury because i typically dont tap until the end of february. last year, i told myself i would be tapped by the first week of that month. i will gladly trade the nice light syrup early for the darker stuff later. also, i have a seasonal job and by the end of march, im back to work and i have to squeeze sugaring in between. its much more satisfying not having to rush. for these reasons, i will tap a little earlier than last,may miss a little in the end but thats ok.

right now, putting the finishing touches on a new evaporator being built for indoors. no more cooking in the weather for me. huge improvement.

Sorry I didn't get back, wife was sick. We put in 6 taps and three in the smaller trees were running a little. I ended up with 7 gallons or so and even for my little operation that wasn't worth it. Big freeze coming this week so that answers my question.

I'm all tapped as of last Saturday. Now when the temperature is right, I'll start the vacuum pump. All of my taps are check valve type. This is my earliest ever to tap, but my labor force went back to college today.
    Last year I was tapped 2/7, and when I pulled the taps April 12-16, most holes were still running, but the buds were starting to open. If you are on buckets of any sort, however I'd wait til the forecast calls for good sap flow conditions in the next day or 2.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We have about a foot of snow today and the forecast calls for one day above freezing until Feb 3. Looks like I have time to finish my evaporator after all. My help consists of my kid who seems to talk me into doing this every year and then disappearing when the work starts to pile up. I think I'd probably still do it, once it's in the blood and all but it would be nice to have someone carry buckets and tend the fire occasionally.

I still do this outside though the wife said we can afford a new shed this spring. I started with an old stainless sink with a plug welded in the bottom over a turkey fryer burner. That was an open sided thing that was hugely inefficient so then I switched to wood fired. That one was a one day wonder project that worked well but just wasn't safe. I tossed that away thinking it would force me to take the time to build a better one. Nope, season is almost here and I'm scrambling to slap one together, or at least put sides on the gas fired job. Still using the 410 stainless steel sink for a pan. It's served me well and I no longer work in a stamping house with access to equipment to make a nice pan so I'm stuck with it for now.

I need to lay off the coffee...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast