+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selling Sap

Default Selling Sap

Is there any one in Pa that buys sap? I am looking to expand, I thought I would start by installing most of my taps on gravity pipe line. Hoping to have a new pan Raised flue pan for this year. If all goes well I should have 500 taps, but I not sure I will be able to keep up with boiling. Looking for your help. Thought about a RO but someone said need to max out sap before getting into a RO. thanks for any advice.

I'd buy some depending where you are. I'm looking for a little sap to buy. How far from Lancaster are you? Doubt I could handle more than 100 gallons in a single trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~ John

50 Reds, Silvers, Norways and Sugar Maple taps. 4' diameter round Amish made SS wood fired evaporator.

I am 20 minutes north of Bloomsburg. Where about in Lancaster are you. My wife lived in East Petersburg when I met her.

I'm in Strasburg. Not sure a 2.5 hour drive is worth 100 gal of sap. What I need is my own sugarbush up north to retreat to. I just tap yard trees. Tapped one today an got about a gallon of sap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~ John

50 Reds, Silvers, Norways and Sugar Maple taps. 4' diameter round Amish made SS wood fired evaporator.

Try "Pa Maple Producers" on Google search. There may be someone listed in your area. [Hmmmmmmmm. Benton Pa. Seems to me my father was born there, an old stone house near the golf coarse. His uncle had a grist mill not far from there. Last I knew it was still standing and had his name on it in the old paint.]

That's cool, Know exactly where house is. Drive by it every day. Its for sale.

How much does sap cost by the way?

John

Sandersyrup
    Strasburg, PA

6 taps Red, 8 taps Norway.

Amish canner evaporator.
    ~ John

Have no idea, never sold it or bought it. Just looking for ways to grow. Last year I had more sap than I could handle.

[QUOTE=Sandersyrup;235738]How much does sap cost by the way?

John

Sandersyrup

For 2% sap you should get .50 cents per gallon. It does not matter what kind of a set-up the buyer may have because that's not your problem. Your sap has value and you should be paid fairly. Those that disagree with this are the ones that are not set up to buy sap. They want you to practically give it to them. Don't fall into that trap.

Spud

Spud-
    Have you ever heard of a open market??? Just asking as I will pose a scenario for you. A hobby producer gets inundated with 250 extra gallons of sap every other day and runs out of firewood. Said hobby producer doesn't want to cook any more this year but already has his buckets hanging on the trees. He would love to make a few extra bucks and maybe invest that back into some equipment. So there is a large(10,000tap) operation a few miles up the road which also buys from a few other hobby guys. He pays $.13/pt/gallon. 100,000 tap operation is 20 miles away and pays$.14/pt/gallon. Those are the only 2 producers within 40 miles that purchase sap. That is the price the local market dictates, last I checked America is still a free market(until the government steps in and provides subsides)
    Obviously this can change from region to region and even day to day. I hope all you sellers can get top dollar, best wishes.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast