+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ultrasonic Leak Detectors

While it found leaks I would not have found otherwise, I think it was over priced, as is much that we buy from the maple companies. If someone finds a leak detector in the $150 range, it will likely be more worth the price.
    On the CDL unit, I quickly discovered it will not work when you are walking on crusted snow. I had to stop, but then I could find leaks up to about 15' away.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks Maple Flats for sharing your findings. I think finding leaks that you wouldn't have found otherwise is the key to having one. As I get more and more taps and the same amount of time to look for leaks I think something like that might be worth it. It seems for me at least that the hardest to find leaks are harder because the conditions don't make for quiet searching like crunchy snow. The prices of most special tools in the maple industry are remind me of the acronym for BOAT Break Out Another Thousand. That said an extra inch of vacuum on say 600 taps would pay for one now if I could find a black Friday sale ha ha.

I didn't see on the Maple Guys page?
    Last edited by unc23win; 11-19-2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Giving thanks
    Jared

please tell me where I can find one of these ultrasonic leak detectors

The CDL unit is carried by CDL dealers. While I need it to hear small leaks, my BIL can hear them without almost as well. His hearing is still quite good. But leaks around the pump will only be found with a leak detector, unless it is a huge leak maybe.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

You might want to do an online search for them. They are used extensively in manufacturing, mills, etc. and I'm sure you can find it cheaper than from a maple supplier (you know- like anything!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123