+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic Leak Detectors

Default Ultrasonic Leak Detectors

Does anybody have experience using the CDL Leak Detection tool, or the VOScope unit to detect leaks in mainlines ?
    They both use ultrasonic technology. The VOscope model can be had for about $116 on Amazon. They talk a lot about detecting vacuum leaks around car engines, but no reference is cited for maple mainline use.
    Seems to me that any tool that will help find more leaks and faster than my old deaf ears is maybe worth the selling price of 3 gallons.
    Teuchtar
    D&G 2x6 Evaporator
    Homemade Piggyback
    Homemade RO

I have been using a vacuum leak detector for years. The one I have is made by Inficon. Mine will not pick up a leak at a distance as CDL advertises. It works great for the very little leaks that you would miss. They will give you false readings when walking in dry leaves or the wind blows across it just right but you just make another pass to double check. Works great right around the pump where noise would make it impossible to hear a leak. Hope this helps. Would love to see a demo on the CDL one. If it worked as described I would buy one. My question I have would it really detect a leak at the distance they advertise.

had a demo at Verona on the CDL unit. Very impressive, all other noise was blocked out but the air leaking around the vac gauge they had set up. Think CDL was around 400
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Usmapleman is your infocon the wisper?

http://products.inficon.com/en-us/na...lsforHVAC_R%2F
    Last edited by wiam; 01-08-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Add link
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Yes. Not sure where I got it or how much I paid. Got it about 10 years ago. Think I may have gotten it on Ebay.

Thanks Usmapleman. I just paid $150 shipped with accessory kit on eBay
    William
    950 taps
    CDL 600 expandable

So I assume you guys use this walking up and down mainlines? How close do you have to be for it to detect leaks? Seems it may have a huge benfits at saddles
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

The one I use does not detect from a great distance. Usually a couple of feet. I find what lines are leaking by watching the sap movement in the line. If it shows a leak I walk it and hold the detector near the line and it sounds when you pass a leak. I find it works good on main lines. As I walk from saddle to saddle I just hold it near line and if there is a leak it sounds off. I have a huge bear problem and they often times bite the line and you may not see it or hear it (to much shooting and heavy equipment operation without hearing protection) but if it beeps you check closer. Will give false readings if you walk in dry leaves but you just stop and pass it over the spot a second time. Works great around you pump where noise would make it impossible to hear. CDL claims theirs works at over 25'. That I would have to see first hand before I paid that much.

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    Thanks Usmapleman. I just paid $150 shipped with accessory kit on eBay
    Wiam, did you get it yet? Is it what you thought it would be? What is the info to get the same?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

It was on eBay. Only one that seller had. I used it to find a slow leak in a tire. I guess I will know more in a couple months.
    William
    950 taps
    CDL 600 expandable

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast