+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Where are we from Michiganders?

I had thought about tapping a 1/2 doz. trees just to see what I would get with the short warm up but did not make it out to the woods to do it. Wish I had as it's a beautiful 35 sunny degrees here in the Traverse City area. I may snowshoe out after work and tap my best producers from last year. Would need to get 10-20 gallons however to fire up the new block arch just to make it worthwhile.

Latitude:N 44° 50' 25.0463"
    Longitude:W 85° 38' 57.8906"

New for 2022 (My 10th year) a 9" CDL Vacuum Filter Press
    2016/2017 12' X 16' Sugar Shack 6/12 pitch roof W/ 3' X 4' Cupola.
    John Deere HPX 4X4 Gator (Pop's left it to me when he died)
    New for 2020 HB10 RO In A Bucket, a game changer.
    2015 Purchased 50 used Bag holders.
    2016 Purchased a home made evaporator and "everything" that went with it.
    20 acre Sugar Bush

Quote Originally Posted by H'Artwind View Post
    Hello all! Heather, here, from the Grand Blanc area....anyone tapping during the 3 day warm up?
    I thought about it and thats as far as it went! I could do 100 or so on gravity but with the extended forecast calling for single digit temps I figured its not worth the work, draining pans and keeping the ro from freezing.
    CDL 30x10
    Homebuild R.O.
    Wes Fab filter press full bank w/air pump
    ornery wife
    1 mean Stihl 460 woods ported chainsaw

Quote Originally Posted by wishlist View Post
    I thought about it and thats as far as it went! I could do 100 or so on gravity but with the extended forecast calling for single digit temps I figured its not worth the work, draining pans and keeping the ro from freezing.
    I see you have a stihl 460 what can you tell me about that? Its time to retire my 1010 McCullough I have been thinking about a 460 or the 372 husky. Everyone tells me the 372 is bullet proof. Also what is woods ported?

Quote Originally Posted by FDA View Post
    I see you have a stihl 460 what can you tell me about that? Its time to retire my 1010 McCullough I have been thinking about a 460 or the 372 husky. Everyone tells me the 372 is bullet proof. Also what is woods ported?
    Its a great saw FDA. Stock saw with a 20" bar cuts and balances great. I also use 28" bar when needed or sometimes when I don't feel like bending over as much. I've had zero problems with the saw and just for fun I had it "wood's ported" which is basically like hot rodding a muscle car. I waited until warranty expired to have it done tho. Its something that really isn't necessary however. The Stihl/Husky thing is a lot like Ford/Chevy IMO. Both are quality saws and really I don't think you can gone wrong with either .
    Here's a little teaser! . That's bur oak.
    uploadfromtaptalk1392776833732.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CDL 30x10
    Homebuild R.O.
    Wes Fab filter press full bank w/air pump
    ornery wife
    1 mean Stihl 460 woods ported chainsaw

Im Bob from Marne, just nw of GR, Im on my 3rd year last year I made about 4 gallons. Was planning on going a little bigger this year but like the rest of you im pretty much snowed in right now!

I opted "not" to tap any trees last night after work after watching the weather report and seeing that temps were going to plummet and the wind was really going to be blowing in the next day or two. I just didn't want to have to race out to the woods to collect whatever amount of sap I would have gotten during this brief warm spell. I will probably start putting out my taps next weekend so that I am ready for the next (hopefully longer) warm spell.

Latitude:N 44° 50' 25.0463"
    Longitude:W 85° 38' 57.8906"

New for 2022 (My 10th year) a 9" CDL Vacuum Filter Press
    2016/2017 12' X 16' Sugar Shack 6/12 pitch roof W/ 3' X 4' Cupola.
    John Deere HPX 4X4 Gator (Pop's left it to me when he died)
    New for 2020 HB10 RO In A Bucket, a game changer.
    2015 Purchased 50 used Bag holders.
    2016 Purchased a home made evaporator and "everything" that went with it.
    20 acre Sugar Bush

Jon from Dearborn. Tap trees here on my city lot and a small patch of woods in Taylor. Boil in a make-shift screen tent here in Dearborn. Hoping to make it through another year without the city shutting me down...fingers crossed.

Todd here from Galesburg between Battle Creek and Kalamazoo. Just waiting for the weather to make up its mind. READY

Graham from Attica and I am a mapleholic. I am patiently waiting for this polar vortex thing to go away and some snow to melt so we can get to tapping.
    Leader supreme 2x4 evaporator
    20'x24' sugarshack
    New Holland TC25 sap hauler
    1 black lab named Murphy

hello austin from st clair this is my first year cant wait im sure it will be good fun for me and my 3 year old son

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast