+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many cfms?

Default How many cfms?

Hi guys,
    We picked up a surge aloma pump that is rated for 52 cfm. How many taps is something like this rated for? We are looking at around 1000 taps this year. How many cfms does it take for 100 taps?
    Thanks, Jon

All I would say is you have room for expansion. 1 cfm is your answer. congrats and welcome to the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S.S View Post
    Hi guys,
    We picked up a surge aloma pump that is rated for 52 cfm. How many taps is something like this rated for? We are looking at around 1000 taps this year. How many cfms does it take for 100 taps?
    Thanks, Jon

Milker pumps like that are typically rated at 15"hg, if you start pulling higher numbers like 20"hg then your cfms will drop off. You should still have plenty of pump for 1000 taps
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

Thanks for the help guys.

You should figure more like 2 cfm/100 taps, since even the best ubing systems are not 100% leak free. The Surge is likely the same as one of mine (if it is a Surge Alamo), rotary vane pump. The CFM is rated at 15" vac and is at 650 RPM, the CFM changes as the RPM goes up or down. I run the same one at 21" vac (at the pump) turning about 700 RPM. One thing you need to do to these, is open up the oilers if you are running more than about 16-17" vacuum. It is simple, just unhook the nut that joins the tube to the pump bearing housing, clamp onto the wire inside and "snap off a 1/4-3/8" piece". The wire controls the speed of the oil drips. Don't snip it or you will leave a flash at the cut that will hang up in the tube and not dispense the oil. If you don't do this the bearings will wear out much faster. If you stay at or under about 17" this is not needed, but make sure the tubes are not plugged. On that point, remember, for every inch you gain in vacuum, you gain 5-7% in sap.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Dave do you have a gas engine or electric motor on your pump and what kind of horsepower? Thanks

+ Reply to Thread