+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to tap

Default Time to tap

Well I've been getting everything ready, trying to get ahead of the season. The weather has been great. Been having teens and twenties at night and thirty to forties during the day. Yesterday I put out a few sap sacks to check on the trees and we have sap. So when everyone else is watching ballgames and staying in the house, I'm going tapping. Tonight it is supposed to get down to 24 and up to 49 tomorrow, then 16 and 33 for Thursday. Looks like it will be this way for several days.

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

Is this about the time you tap every year? Do you have access to more maples on your land? Have you ever thought about vacuum? How many others in Kentucky make maple syrup that your aware of? Please keep us posted on your progress. I find it very interesting for someone as south as you to be making maple syrup. How much syrup do you make in a season? What can you sell a quart or pint for? I hope you have a great season.

Spud

Wow! Wish it were that warm here, predicted high temps for next Monday are -13 for a high! Its been a brutally cold winter so far. Best wishes to you and your season!
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Spud
    Well, last year I started mid Jan and missed most of the season since it warmed up early in the spring. This will be my fifth year making syrup, and like everyone else, I'm learning and growing each year. The number of trees I can tap has not been a problem there are always more trees to tap than I have time or energy. I have been considering running vacuum, right now I'm tapping in four different areas on my farms, but I don't have any electric service real close. I've been trying to round up some left over milking parts to try and run vacuum one sugar bush down from the house. Maybe I'll get it by next year. There are a few in KY tapping, but very few. There is a Amish family a few miles away and a few others here and there, but not many. Selling the syrup is no problem, in fact I don't try to sell it. I really haven't made enough to sell. If I did I would be sold out in a few days. I do sell it low keyed, and I give a lot away. Well my help is coming down the drive, time to go tapping. Se ya

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    youtube videos

I noticed you are in the "hills of Kentucky". Have you thought about 3/16" tubing? You get the results of vacuum without any pumps and releasers. You only need decent slope. The best of luck to you and the season!
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

NO! Not too early! If you don't start early here, you will miss out.

We tapped on Saturday and collected for the first time today. It's just my kids and myself and we don't sell. Last year we ended up with over 200 twelve oz. jars. We bought a 4 ft. evaporator last year and that makes cooking so much easier.

I am very careful to tap when there is a long spell, with not too high temps...That's when the taps seem to be more likely to become infected. Last year we tapped before Christmas and even collected on Christmas Eve. We had a very long season. I didn't want my taps in when those 60-70 degree days hit, right before this Christmas. I also didn't want to tap when the trees were frozen, because tapping can crack the tree.

This afternoon the trees were really giving. We will collect again on Saturday, since the next two days are expected to be cold enough the sap won't flow.

We have tapped until almost March here...It just depends on God and Mother Nature and when the trees are done, they are done.

Good luck to each of you!

I haven't ever heard of the 3/16 tubing. It would really get confusing around here with all the different connectors in 3/16 and 5/16. It's hard enough to carry everything you need as it is now. I think I'll stick with the 5/16.

We had a good day today, we got 225 tapped and it was flowing good. We ran most of the day out on the ground to flush the cob webs out of the lines.

It amazes me on how some trees will produce and then one right next to it dry as a bone. I noticed I had some maples that still had kept several dry leaves on them kind of like a white oak, they didn't produce a thing today. I've also got one sugar bush in a hollow that is wet. I've tapped it for three years and I can spit more than they produce. They are mostly red/swamp maples, but with all the water you would think it would run out of them. Any one have any ideas on why they don't produce?
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    youtube videos

Quote Originally Posted by afretired View Post
    I haven't ever heard of the 3/16 tubing. It would really get confusing around here with all the different connectors in 3/16 and 5/16. It's hard enough to carry everything you need as it is now. I think I'll stick with the 5/16.

We had a good day today, we got 225 tapped and it was flowing good. We ran most of the day out on the ground to flush the cob webs out of the lines.

It amazes me on how some trees will produce and then one right next to it dry as a bone. I noticed I had some maples that still had kept several dry leaves on them kind of like a white oak, they didn't produce a thing today. I've also got one sugar bush in a hollow that is wet. I've tapped it for three years and I can spit more than they produce. They are mostly red/swamp maples, but with all the water you would think it would run out of them. Any one have any ideas on why they don't produce?
    Sugar maples have the longest sap flowing season and I think that the white/red start earlier and quit earlier, if I am remembering correctly. I know that sometimes depending on where the trees are, some don't thaw as quickly as others, so may need a longer period after a deep freeze to start flowing. Some of my bags were still quite frozen today, at 3pm, while others were completely thawed and overflowing. I don't know why some trees just don't give. We tapped one this year, that the saw dust from the hole was completely dry and no sap dripped. We didn't put a tap in. It was right next to one that has sap just pouring out. It really is interesting to ponder all this...Such a wonderful gift! I am always so grateful, no matter how tired I am...To bring that sap in and make maple syrup.

David, I told my wife last night that I wished it was March, not only to start sugaring but we have also had enough of the cold weather already. I will be surprised if we don't hear of any homeless freezing to death because of the weather, When I came back from loading the outdoor furnace last night temperature was -37 with the wind chill, worse today around -45 here right now with the wind, doesn't take long for your chin or any exposed parts to start to hurt.. On another note, would you be interested in trading a small bottle of syrup? I would love to taste syrup from Kentucky ,have tasted from many other provinces and states. Have a great season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    David, I told my wife last night that I wished it was March, not only to start sugaring but we have also had enough of the cold weather already. I will be surprised if we don't hear of any homeless freezing to death because of the weather, When I came back from loading the outdoor furnace last night temperature was -37 with the wind chill, worse today around -45 here right now with the wind, doesn't take long for your chin or any exposed parts to start to hurt.. On another note, would you be interested in trading a small bottle of syrup? I would love to taste syrup from Kentucky ,have tasted from many other provinces and states. Have a great season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Remind me, I would happily give you a bottle. I am waiting for a reply on another thread to see if my sap can wait today. It is so windy and I am afraid that the stack will blow off. It is 26 now, with a negative 3 wind chill. We collected last evening and overnight the temps were mostly in the low to mid 30's. The sap had ice in it, when we collected, and I am sure it is refreezing. Without a sugar shack, I worry if it is too windy, that that red hot stack will blow off on one of my children....I am hoping tomorrow will be ok, for cooking the first batch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast