+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A New Sugarhouse is Born

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Very nice sugarhouse. I like it! I am interested in the placement of your rig in the sugarhouse. What are your thoughts or use for the total space? Looks like you have the new rig, which looks awesome, placed to the side and one end of the sugarhouse. Does that get it closer to the wood storage area?
    Regards,
    Chris
    Chris - Thanks. In terms of the layout, I am shooting for a functional space that maximizes the small footprint. I have been in many sugarhouses through the years and while the "traditional" design with the rig in the center under the cupola is nice, I don't think it is a great use of the space. So, I decided to push the rig to the side with about 32" of clearance between it and the wall. With this rig I will always draw off on the left side (looking at the door) so that frees up quite a bit of space. On the other side of the building there will be counter and canning area and a sink. A heated room in the other corner with storage above and more storage below the head tank next to the heated room. I will be posting more photos as it comes together.

In this photo, you can see the door that wood will be loaded through. There will be a woodshed on this end of the building with a tank shed on the other. When boiling, we will open this door and load wood directly from the woodshed into the rig. The woodshed floor will be about 8" lower than the slab so should be a little easier on the back.

SHb.jpg
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

General that's very similar to how I did mine except I have an oil burner so. My evaporator is pushed to one side and set up for left side draw off only I left it out about 5' for a little extra room, but my building is a little bigger also. So then I have a heated room in one corner with storage above. Then I have plenty of space to the side of the evaporator and in front of the heated room for canning and what not.

Very nice looking building good job!
    Jared

That's really looking great General. Boiling before we know it. If you happen by Shelburne Sugarworks and see us boiling before you are, stop in and say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermonner View Post
    That's really looking great General. Boiling before we know it. If you happen by Shelburne Sugarworks and see us boiling before you are, stop in and say hi.
    Thanks! Haven't had time to post more photos but I will try to soon. The shell of the building has been done for a bit and am now working on systems and prepping to brick the rig on friday. Most of the electric is done and will be hooking up the vac. pump, sap pump and blower next week. More to do in the woods, but will definitely have 500 taps ready to go by the 22nd. Looks like not much going on until then anyway and with the frost we have in the ground, things will be slow to start. I do want to be tapped when it really comes.

I will definitely stop by sometime. These days monday is my burl. day, but am up there occasionally in addition. You guys tapping yet?
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO

I decided to add on this year and double the size of the sugarhouse. The new addition is 16x22 and it will primarily be for sap storage but will also have an area for storing syrup barrels. I may even add a small coolbot walk-in at some point for storing open barrels.

I scored a used 1500 gal. round bottom ss tank for sap and purchased a 700 gallon tank for concentrate. The 1500 gal. tank will overflow into the 700 gal. so I should not have to worry about overflowing tanks ever again. I'll be using my old 400 gal. ss tanks for permeate now. This year they will be in this new addition, but next year I will be moving them under a small shed roof off the east side of the addition.

addition1.jpgaddition2.jpg
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO

Looks like your setting yourself up good General.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Sugarhouse was born and it's growing. Looks great.
    2019-2023 40 to 50 taps to get 8 to 10 gallons of syrup
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.
    2016 Produced 3 gallons & 1 quart Syrup, Block arch & 3 buffet pans, 12 taps
    2015 Thought about tapping

I was wondering where the General had been looks like you have been busy. Nice addition you have there. Best of luck in 2018!
    Jared

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123