+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: November journal

Hybrid View

Default November journal

Just got done canning another 15 gallons, sellin pretty good!kicked this whole 4 wheeler track thing all around in my head lastnite as i layed awake with a teething baby. Lookin like im gonna get them. Other than that just kinda pickin away in the sugarhouse today got the woodstove going and making a list of what needs to get done. Mite need another sheet of paper😄
    4 by 12 cdl
    Cdl 3 post ro , 4th post waiting to get added
    5 hp sihi vaccum pump, 3/4 hp airblo vaccum pump, gv60 atlas copco vaccum pump www.roundmountainsugarhouse.com.

Check Craig's list there are a bunch on there. I won't own a snowmobile again after getting tracks

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 125 taps 16 gallons
    2015 210 taps 49 gallons
    2016 164 taps 75 gallons new 2X6 leader max flue and homemade AOF/AUF arch
    2017 1500 taps 196 gallons RO added additions to building new tap lease
    2018 1588 taps 276 gallons
    upgrades for 2019 season 3 phase vacuum pump, stainless tank in woods, tubing replacement

spent yesterday going through an old cider mill.Came home with 2 s/s tanks and a bunch of mics. stuff. Was going to make an offer on the press and grinder. Anyone know what an old wooden press is worth? Plus 1000 apple boxes? I will also have to convince my wife to add cider making to our list of ventures
    Paul & Serena
    Sugaring for over 50 years.
    4000+ taps on vacuum
    4 Airtech Vacuum Pumps
    4 X 12 Force 5 with D&G Pans
    Lapierre 1200 GPH RO

www.paulssugarhouse.com

I am not sure what exactly the press you were looking at is worth but they are not cheap a new one is $1000 easy I have seen some older mills more complete set ups for over $2000. A friend of mine has one made in 1806 and it is very nice it has a huge fly wheel on the grinder once you get it spinning it moves easy. We made about 60 gallons of cider in 2 afternoons it was fun. I am thinking about making more cider next year. I guess in PA and maybe in MA as well if you run a UV light you don't need to pasteurize it to sell it so that cuts down on the production costs. Everyone in my area is talking about the abundance of apples this year.
    Jared

Well i forgot about daylight savings change again. My to do list didnt get longer but will definitely take longer to finish since I just lost 1 hour plus of daylight I became used to finishing little jobs after work.

It also hurts now that turkey season is upon us in Pa and my woods are a prime roost spot. Nothing like working on lines with a shotgun propped up against a nearby tree. Its like the movies... the turkey spots you, you spot the turkey, you look at your gun 15 feet away, the turkey looks at the gun 15 feet away.... Turkey runs away, you run for your gun... LOL

Still planning on being ready tap Jan 1.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

my list seems to be getting longer but it wouldn't be fun with out scrambling around intill the last minute to get everything ready to go, things have turned around a little bit sense the land owner shut me down on the new woods I was gonna have the DAY AFTER I BOUGHT ALL THE TUBEING I was able to get all my neighbors on board to let me tap there land and will have close to 300 taps at my sugarhouse ,I was also able to rent a vacuum system from another producer for 100 bucks, still have tubing to run to 200 more taps put the tank in place and hook up the vacuum do a little tweaking with the evaporator and find a filter press, but I still will not need all the tubing I bought so is anybody interested in 1000 foot rolls of leader 3/4 inch mainline as well as saddle fitting,wire ties and wire?....... but I might be able to achieve my goal of 200 gals. This year ,good luck and happy holidays everyone
    2012-6 taps on a homade barrel boiler made 3 pints
    2013-200 taps 12X20 sugarhouse on a waterloo 2X6 made a disappointing 10 gallons
    2014-450 taps on waterloo 2X6 made another disappointing 20 gallons
    2015-450 taps all vac on leader 3X8 with pre heater and hood

Finished running 7,000 feet of our 2" wet/dry line last week (took four loggers, one farmer and a desk jockey five and half days to complete) and was able to get 17,000 feet of 1" mainlines done in four days. Have 30,000 feet of lateral lines left to do but sure glad to not have to pick up a 500ft roll of 2" pipe again this year.
    3x10 Leader Inferno Arch
    14,200 Taps
    2 - 14 HP Indiana Vacuum pump
    1800gph Lapierre RO
    10" Lapierre filter press
    2 - 25,000 tap Lapierre releasers
    3 - SS 1500 gallon tanks
    1 - SS 8,400 gallon tank
    8x8 Argo ATV
    50k John Deere generator

24'x32' sugarhouse

That's awesome work sjdoyon. I have been working on my sugarhouse during the day time weekends and nights after work and then making drops while watching tv ha. I hope to get started on installing some mainline this weekend not 17,000 feet though.
    Jared

Sorry, can't say. All I'll say is that I should have thought of it sooner.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

busy day of jugging yesterday. A good friend Heather spent most of the day helping me jug up 30 gallons for a custom glass order and another 15 gallons of plastic quarts and gallons.

Custom glass was for a non-profit based in Mass. that supports folks (and their families) with ALS. Special thanks to Bill and Marsha at Artisan Printing for their contribution to the project.

Mark is coming over this morning to work on setting the pellet arch in its final resting place and hooking up pellet feed auger and blower duct work.

I get tired a lot easier these days, but still have a lot to do before we will be ready for the season. Thanks to all who had chipped in so far, especially Mark (Ragged View) and Parker
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast